• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade extracts

ChocoChris

Hi All,

I have a number of wild strawberry plants that produce all season and thought it would be fun to try to make wild strawberry extract. Has anyone made any berry extract for flavoring baked goods? I've read through the vanilla extract thread and was wondering if its a similar process - steeping the berries in the spirit of choice or if there is something else to it?

Thanks for your ideas,

Chris

I have made a very nice Strawberry Liqueur from some fraise des bois and vodka that had a lovely strawberry fragrance. Not sure if that would be intense enough for baked goods, though; however, quite pleasant for drinking...

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Has anyone made any berry extract for flavoring baked goods? ...- steeping the berries in the spirit of choice or if there is something else to it?

The following is off the cuff, but if you want more depth, email or PM.

I have some older books that go into this. Home-made flavoring extracts and syrups seem to've been popular in earlier times (maybe as an extension of home preservation of seasonal produce?) I remember an emphasis on fermenting fruit before extracting it, supposed to greatly intensify or extract the flavor. It may have been for syrups or tinctures or both.

Has anyone made any berry extract for flavoring baked goods? ...- steeping the berries in the spirit of choice or if there is something else to it?

The following is off the cuff, but if you want more depth, email or PM.

I have some older books that go into this. Home-made flavoring extracts and syrups seem to've been popular in earlier times (maybe as an extension of home preservation of seasonal produce?) I remember an emphasis on fermenting fruit before extracting it, supposed to greatly intensify or extract the flavor. It may have been for syrups or tinctures or both.

What are the names/authors of the books, please?

Tom Gengo