• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO help recreating resto dish-tatin d’artichaut

When we were in Paris in March we had dinner at Le Petit Pontoise where we had a wonderful tatin d'artichaut. It had (I think) eggplant and possibly tomatoes under the artichokes. I would like to recreate it but I am unsure how to deal with the eggplant. I was thinking maybe brushing thick slices lightly with olive oil and broiling/grilling. Any ideas? TIA

As there will be plenty of solid texture in the artichokes, you could probably do something like an eggplant "tapenade." Prick the eggplant and brush with olive oil. Bake in oven until very soft. Cut in half and scoop out the contents. Season. For the tatin, put down the layer of artichokes and then layer of tomatoes. Spread the eggplant mix over the pastry and place eggplant side down on the other ingredients. Bake and serve as normal.

edited to take out quote of post above.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

As there will be plenty of solid texture in the artichokes, you could probably do something like an eggplant "tapenade." Prick the eggplant and brush with olive oil. Bake in oven until very soft. Cut in half and scoop out the contents. Season. For the tatin, put down the layer of artichokes and then layer of tomatoes. Spread the eggplant mix over the pastry and place eggplant side down on the other ingredients. Bake and serve as normal.

edited to take out quote of post above.

Thanks for the idea. My memory is that the texture or the eggplant was meatier than a tapenade.

Not too sure on this one, but her's a try.

Since a tatin is upside down I'd assume that the tomatoes are on the pastry side, then the eggplant. (I'd fry the eggplant sliced thinly in some EVO with some Salt & Pepper & Herbs de province until just softening before putting them on the tatin.) Now with two layers i"d add the artichoke hearts which had been well steamed, then cut. A bit more olive oil & put the whole thing into a very hot oven until the crust is done. Obviously as you assemble the artichokes go in the pan, then the eggplant then the tomatoes then the crust.

When the crust looks cooked take it out then invert to get the artichokes on top again.

This would be a classic tatin assembly, but may not be what you had.

Lets hear how you made out.