• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Elevation Burger

Mummer

They've got a logo that brings to mind the Grand Tetons. They fry their 'taters in olive oil. They use real cheddar cheese. They've got bamboo floors and are trying to be LEED (green architectural design) certified.

They're better than McDonalds.

But, if you've got a neighborhood tappie that makes a good burger with pink in the meat, you don't need to check out this Wynnewood joint.

I usually skip fries, but I gave them a try. They reminded me of McDonalds (once fried shoestrings,) perhaps back in the day when they were flavored with beef tallow. (Yeah, I know, olive oil. Sorry that I wasn't that discerning; I knew they tasted different but I'll easily skip the fries again.)

This guy's picture works pretty well, as long as I lifted the roll to see the toppings. I had a double (Elevation) with lettuce, tomato, house sauce and fried onions (a few diced, celephane-like, nearly tasteless little things.) I thought the toppings were mighty stingy for a $6 burger. another opinion

If you're closer to, say, Royal Tavern, Good Dog or Grace Tavern, use your gas money for a pint.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Never heard of this chain, not that's saying very much.

It appears a relatively new and, at this point, small chain.

Are they better than Five Guys?

It will be a long time before one opens in this area, lower Bucks County.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I checked Google maps, and it appears they are in the Wynnewood Shopping Center, home of Old Navy, and many eateries, including Sam's, Santa Fe Burrito, Poppi's, and Delancy Street Bagel.. can anyone confirm??

I belch, therefore, I ate...

I checked Google maps, and it appears they are in the Wynnewood Shopping Center, home of Old Navy, and many eateries, including Sam's, Santa Fe Burrito, Poppi's, and Delancy Street Bagel.. can anyone confirm??

Confirmed! Looking forward to more comments, though Mummer's review was hardly encouraging.

I learned yesterday from a neighbor that Elevation is located in the space previously occupied by Alex Long - in the Wynnewood Shopping center, on the short side parallel to E. Wynnewood Road by Gamestop and the Barber.

I belch, therefore, I ate...

This was my experience:

I so wanted to like this place but there were many problems. We tried it late last Sunday afternoon.

The fries were very soggy and limp. Thin fries like that should be fantastic. Either the person doing the frying didn't know what they were doing or the oil was too old or not hot enough.

The taste of the meat was very good but it was clearly a pre-made patty and I missed the hand-formed (look or real??) of those at Five Guys. The looser formed burger has a much better texture and doesn't tend to seem so dry. The bun was good and fit the size of the patty (kinda small, but I like that) and the cheese actually tasted like cheese.

As far as toppings go that was a huge disappointment. I asked for tomato, raw onions, and mayo. There was one slice of tomato no more than 1/4" thick, that's it. Same with the onion. Couldn't taste them at all. The mayo was also barely existent. If I try the place again I'll make sure to ask for larger servings of the toppings and crisp fries.

Definitely a huge step down from Five Guys.

The fries were very soggy and limp. Thin fries like that should be fantastic. Either the person doing the frying didn't know what they were doing or the oil was too old or not hot enough.

Definitely a huge step down from Five Guys.

McDonald's fresh cut fries were twice fried - first at a low temp to blanch and cook the insides - than at a high heat to add color and crispness. If they were single frying, as mentioned above, that produces a greasy, limp fry.

The other issue is that the fries are cooked in olive oil. Pure olive oil has a relatively low smoke point so they might have been cooking at less than 375F. Olive oil is a weird choice for deep fat frying.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The other issue is that the fries are cooked in olive oil.  Pure olive oil has a relatively low smoke point so they might have been cooking at less than 375F.  Olive oil is a weird choice for deep fat frying.

you should go to spain sometime. they fry lots of things in olive oil there, and they taste good. i'm convinced that this has more to do with the skill of the fryer than with the oil itself...

Deep fat frying or sauteing? Perhaps the oil quality is better.

I was taught that olive oil is one of the worst mediums for deep fat frying. Because of its low smoke point it can't be used for 375 F frying. Also it breaks down relatively quickly. More expensive for restaurants. Oils like Peanut, safflower oil, and canola oil or blends thereof are usually used in the US for deep fat frying.

Then again, back when I went to school we weren't supposed to eat oysters in months without a "R" and spiced apple rings were considered exotic.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I sometimes fry (to a depth of 1" or so) in olive oil. I just fried some artichokes yesterday, and a week or two back, did up a fritto misto of squash blossoms and vegetables. They were all pretty awesome, if I do say so myself. But I don't know if I'd want to fill a deep fryer with olive oil- the oil gets nasty a lot faster than peanut oil does, that's for sure.