• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying kitchen equipment from discounters

edwardsboi

In this economic climate, I've started to stop by and shop discounters like TJMaxx, Ross, etc.. And, I've been finding a wide range of kitchen equipment from Oxo, Le Creuset, All-Clad, etc.. that show up sporadically.

Are these products all seconds, and how would I know if there are seconds or not?

I know some of those companies have their own outlets so I'm curious why they'd agree to sell their seconds to an outside vendor and make less profit on that transaction instead of selling in their own stores. Does this mean that there was something wrong with them so that even their own stores wouldn't sell them?

Some are seconds, some are not. You can usually tell by examining a piece carefully. I have bought a number of things from TJMAXX over the years and had good luck.

Sometimes retailers would rather run heavily discounted product through a discounter in order to avoid a discounter appearance to their own stores and websites. And even with factory outlets, the discounters give them one more distribution channel.

So, be prudent, but there are some good deals out there.

Hi,

Most of the seconds are clearly marked but there are some remarkable exceptions. (Like a very used, greasy A-C LTD pan)

My experience with LeCreuset dutch oven "seconds" shows many with significantly warped lids. I culled through ten pans one day to find one with a decent lid. Finally got a 7 1/2 quart oven for $117!

Tim

ABSOLUTELY love these places, and I have gotten some real steals at them, if you know what you're looking for.

These places are jobbers, so a lot of the branded merchadise (Cuisinart, KitchenAid, LC, All Clad) come from department store stock that didn't sell. That's why you see the name brands there and not at their own warehouse/outlet stores.

Probably my best deal was a beautiful, Calphalon non stick 12-inch saute pan. Very heavy weight, excellent non-stick finish, and it was 10 bucks. I went back and bought 2 more, since I knew the non-stick would eventually die. I still have one in reserve, and I got them probably 5 or 6 years ago, and use them a lot.

I've gotten removeable bottom tart pans, good heavy weight sheet pans, all sorts of gadgets and tools, just love them, HomeGoods especially.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Don't overlook Tuesday Morning. They have some incredible bargains on first line stuff, closeouts from department stores and stores that go out of business.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Oh for sure, I third the Tuesday Morning. They are PHENOMENAL ! Beautiful crystal, good kitchen things, they're great. It's more hit and miss in my experience than HomeGoods but if you have patience, you can unearth real gems. A friend of mine got an Atlas manual pasta machine for $25.

Edit because apparently I shouldn't be trying to spell "phenomenal" after 3 glasses of wine :wacko:

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

My best friend, who is not a foodie, got a Rachel Ray Furi east-west santoku knife for 9.99, complete with blade guard.

She shops at Tuesday Morning twice a month so as not to miss any good deals.

(She has five sons and many grandchildren.)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

Online, Woot.com, while usually featuring tech stuff, occasionally has some good kitchen bargains - I think they handle WS closeouts - got the Shun Kaji Fusion 3-pc set for $249, Breville Ikon espresso machine for $99 (I know not a top-line machine, but for 1/3 the price of retail, it paid for itself in a month). And they have a wine site, as well, featuring small producers. That's put a dent in my wallet a few times, too.

I'm not picky about having matched sets of stuff, so I heartily second the discount store route - you can, over time, put together one hell of a kitchen for a fraction of the price.

Also, if you're luck enough to have a Sears outlet nearby, you can find appliances for 1/2 of retail. We bought a house last year with a single, 24" oven. Does NOT work for us. Hadn't replaced it because, well, we just bought a house, then had our second kid. Then, while still on a pretty tight budget, found a double 30" Kenmore self-clean oven for $649. Not the dream Gaggenau, but, again, new house, new kid....

I luvs me some TJ Maxx kitchen steals. I stop in there regularly.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”