• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cupcake frosting

lapasterie

I am looking for a frosting for cupcakes that will not spoil or melt at a picnic . It need to hold up for several hours . I need it for this Sunday and I do not use the commercially made bakery sugar and grease stuff.

What about some type of flavored Italian Meringue? The egg whites are cooked when adding in the sugar syrup and think they would be fine out of refrigeration for a while.

I was afraid the butter would melt in the heat.

I think Tino meant *only* Italian meringue.  Not buttercream.

I never thought of that. I am so use to making IM buttercream. Maybe I'll give that a try.

I was also thinking about a plain water /chocolate glaze.

I am going to be printing out little logos on the edible icing on the computer to decorate them with.

Along the lines of a streusel, I had a cupcake recently that had chunks of chocolate and Oreos on top. You could also use miniature marshmallows and do a kind of Rocky Road topping.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden