• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rogue (now beta) Cocktails

KD1191

Got this the other day.

Have yet to try any of the more "rogue" cocktails, but I like the attitude. Nice pictures, too. I believe I met Kirk a year or two ago when he was guest bartending at Death & Co. Did have, at the time, the pleasure of sampling his flaming chartreuse swizzle. Great drink, great technique, and impressed me as a nice guy. Will have to get down to Cure one of these days.

My main complaint would be that the book is far too short! Well, that and Blurb rips you off on the shipping.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

So what you're saying is that, rather than paying to have the book shipped, it would make more sense for me to fly to New Orleans and pick it up in person at Cure? Excellent news! I'm happy to use the flimsiest of excuses.

Hey, if I'm going to pay insane shipping charges, it might as well be to ship me down there...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Yeah, just checked it out, and I would have to join Blurb and pick a password and give them leave to send me spam before they'll tell me the shipping cost. But on their shipping info page it suggested to book creators that the shipping for a standard book might be $19.95. For a $20.00 book.

Can that be right?

Yeah, just checked it out, and I would have to join Blurb and pick a password and give them leave to send me spam before they'll tell me the shipping cost.  But on their shipping info page it suggested to book creators that the shipping for a standard book might be $19.95. For a $20.00 book.

Can that be right?

I was able to get a shipping estimate just now without having to join Blurb. Granted, it seemed a little confusing, but to ship it to Chicago looks like it would cost $6.43.

• 3 weeks later...

Made the Racketeer just now, subbing in M&R rosso for Carpano Antica Formula, which I lack. I can taste where the CA would provide some middle notes that the M&R lacks, but... this thing is a beast. I love it: very rich, deep, smoky, complex. Careful with the yellow Chartreuse....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Made the Racketeer just now, subbing in M&R rosso for Carpano Antica Formula, which I lack. I can taste where the CA would provide some middle notes that the M&R lacks, but... this thing is a beast. I love it: very rich, deep, smoky, complex. Careful with the yellow Chartreuse....

If you have Punt e Mes, I would definitely suggest using 1/2 and 1/2 PeM and M&R Rosso in place of Carpano Antica when it isn't available. I scoffed when I first heard the suggestion, but the flavor profile is extremely similar. I didn't believe how similar until I tried it.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 1 month later...

I heard a rumbling that something might be up, and upon visiting the Rogue Cocktails blog this morning, I see:

"Due to a trademark infringement claim by Oregon Brewing Company (Rogue Ales and Rogue Spirits), rogue cocktails is no longer available for purchase through blurb.com."

That is sad. Are there any IP attorneys in the eGullet community?

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 2 weeks later...

Made a Cleirmeil tonight:

1 1/2 oz rum (Inner Circle green)

3/4 oz green Chartreuse

3/4 oz lime

1/2 oz maple syrup

1/8 oz pimento dram (homemade, not the St. Elizabeth's called for)

Another lobster drink: looks horrifying, but is luscious.

• Like 1

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Has anyone tried A Moment of Silence yet? I can't recommend it enough.

1.5 oz rye whiskey

1 oz marie brizard apry (I used R&W)

0.5 oz averna

0.5 oz angostura bitters

0.25 oz laird’s bonded

Rinse a rocks glass with campari. Stir and strain over fresh ice into rinsed glass and garnish with an orange twist.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried A Moment of Silence yet? I can't recommend it enough.

Enjoying one right now. I used Marie Brizard and Rittenhouse 100 for the rye. A fantastic cocktail, and one I'd completely glossed over when I first read the book.

DeVoto, The Hour

Working my way through the Twin Peaks box set tonight and in need of a nice nightcap to go with. I turned to the Racketeer:

1 oz rye (rittenhouse bonded)

1 oz mezcal (los danzantes joven)

1/2 oz benedictine

1/2 oz carpano antica (1:1 m&r and punt e mes)

1/4 oz yellow chartreuse

3 dashes peychaud's

laphroaig rinse

a Vieux Carre sent back from another world. Fantastic.

Edited by vice (log)

• 2 months later...

Thanks to our wonderful, litigious culture, the folks at Rogue Cocktails had to pull the plug on that name and come up with a new one: enter beta cocktails. Lots of good stuff already: the Scotch Sling looks very tasty indeed.

As one of the 277 owners of a rogue cocktails book, I can attest to the joy that book gave me; I've made more than 2/3rds of the recipes and enjoyed most of those. To that end, I was trying to find a way to use the Matusalem Clasico and spied the Cynar Julep, a great drink I'd made before -- but I was lacking mint. In beta fashion, I concocted this:

DSC00257.JPG

No Mint Bittered Cynar Julep

1 1/2 oz Matusalem Clasico

1 oz Cynar

1/2 oz Branca Menta

-1/2 oz demerara syrup

dash Angostura

lime (Ti Punch slice)

Stir with ice and strain over fresh ice. Squeeze lime slice over drink -- like it's a twist, not a wedge, with skin out -- and drop it in.

Bitter haters, beware. Bitter lovers, I offer you love & happiness.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Yeah, but what with persnickety categorization anxieties, I wasn't sure about the Menta & lime. It's a freakish, if tasty, Cuba Libre if you splash in some Mexican Coke.

Yeah I was kind of kidding, these kinds of drinks defy categorization in the 19th century paradigm. I've only seen Branca Menta for sale once in TX and when I went back it wasn't there, otherwise I'd be giving that one a try. Looks like a Stinger for some evil supervillain.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I've only seen Branca Menta for sale once in TX and when I went back it wasn't there, otherwise I'd be giving that one a try. Looks like a Stinger for some evil supervillain.

Just to show how the old is new again, Audrey Saunders has a drink I love called "Goodnight Irene" dating from some years ago. It's 2 parts bourbon and 1 part Branca Menta on crushed ice. Definitely related to the Stinger -- but way, way better.

--