• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Harwood Arms

I see the Harwood Arms in Fulham has just won Caterer and Hotelkeeper's Catey 09 Award "Menu of the Year" pipping one of my faves Purnells no less.

Looking at the website it looks terrific for someones local

Have put it on my list for a visit.

"So many places, so little time"

Any reports would be most appreciated

http://www.harwoodarms.com/

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

It's receieved extremely positive reviews from all the critics - so much so that I'm surprised that more of them haven't visited it. It'd definitely be on my list too if I was in the area, but alas I'm rubbish about trekking out to Fulham.

Hot Dinners - London's Top restaurants, reviewed by the critics and you

I have two dinner and two lunches there. It is very good, I haven't tried many "gastro-pubs" in London, but have tried many across the country. For me The Harwood is head and shoulders above the rest. Their famous venison scotch egg is a great place to start, freshly cooked with the yolk still good and runny. The rest of the menu is interesting and very well cooked. Stephen Williams is a talented chef and it shows, and the owners including Brett Graham ensure food is a key element of the pub. The menu is seasonal and changes frequently, I haven't had a bad dish (although the doughnuts for dessert are far too sweet).

It's a great place. The pigeon tea is great, as is any main dish for sharing. They bring out the whole roast and a beautiful bone knife for carving. Superb value for money - Steve Williams is a really talented guy.

Yum,Yum, I'm dribbling at the thought :smile:

Brett Graham turned out a fantastic meal at our one and only Ledbury visit , so a chef from the same stable has to be up their at a similar standard to be awarded the position he holds.

Have to put the Ledbury down again on the ever expanding list :laugh:

@d_goodfellow1

• 3 months later...

Well I finally got round to dining here and wow were we impressed.

To quote PhilD this place really is "head and shoulders" above the rest.

We drove into London on the Saturday aiming to enjoy a leisurely lunch and were not disappointed.However there is one distinct problem,because of its location amongst some decidedly eye wateringly expensive properties.

Parking! its virtually impossible to park remotely close.However don't let this put you off. Ditch the car!

The place itself is very "cotswoldy" with hunting prints,stripped pine,two tone lemon yellow paintwork, and miss matched chairs.

A pitcher of water is on the tables.

Along with a small specials board, a very appealing menu of five starters, six mains,five desserts, and a few side dishes.

You can choose from Salmon, Hereford snails, Rabbit,Roe deer, Roast cod with crayfish, Sea bream, Pork belly,Wood pigeon, Lamb, etc,etc,.

We we truly spoilt for choice.

We got the ball rolling with the famed Venison scotch egg, which I think is listed as a bar snack?

Don't miss this its fab.

She who must be obeyed, chose my first choice of Half dozen Hereford snails with oxtail braised in stout, parsley crumbs and bone marrow.(£7)

Although I really fancied the Rabbit dish also, I could not resist the snails.

Well this was the best seven quid I think I,ve ever spent

Totally stunning dish, bags and bags of flavour, I wish I could cook like this.My snail shells were licked dry and the plate was meticulously cleaned with the home made Irish soda bread and some nicely crusted potato bread.

Whole braised shoulder of Roe deer for two with smoked bacon, grilled field mushrooms, and celeriac puree (£30.50) was totally irrisistable.

We took a side dish of salad,which consisted of baby watercress,shallots, celariac,with a grain mustard dressing and I think we detected some grated hazelnuts,and sherry vinegar(£3.50)

I asked if Mike Robinson had personally shot the said deer, but it was not affirmed, needless to say again it was a fabulous dish which they gladly doggie bagged as we were reaching bursting point.

We felt that we just had to squeeze in a dessert or two for the sake of, well just being there.

We skipped the famed jam doughnuts, and went for,Lemon Posset, Dorset blueberries,and shortbread (£6)and Blackcurrent and stem ginger Eton mess(£6)

Both were really scrummy, and just about finished us off, so to speak.

What a truly wonderful way to spend a Saturday afternoon, the late summer sun was streaming through the windows and all was good in our world.

Very highly recommended

@d_goodfellow1

• 1 month later...

Went back to Fulham a few weeks back, and had another great meal. That egg will always attract me like a magnet, as it is just way too good to get tired of. In general, the meal was very consistent, with only one exception, of a pigeon salad, where I'd have prefered the meat lukewarm (it was served rather cold). Apart from that, this was very fine cooking for the more or less £30 one spends here for 3 courses.

Among the desserts the Caledonian ice was much more enjoyable than the (Very good) doughnuts.

We drove into London on the Saturday aiming to enjoy a leisurely lunch and were not disappointed.However there is one distinct problem,because of its location amongst some decidedly eye wateringly expensive properties.

Parking! its virtually impossible to park remotely close.However don't let this put you off. Ditch the car!

Quick note: no parking restrictions on a Sunday.