• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Searching for calamansi aka calamondin tree

I WANT to buy a Calamansi/Calamondin tree, but my source must be in Canada, preferably in Ontario. So far my searches have turned up nothing.

Any help out there? Please :wub:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I WANT to buy a Calamansi/Calamondin tree, but my source must be in Canada, preferably in Ontario.  So far my searches have turned up nothing.

Any help out there?  Please :wub:

I got information about

this site. from my friend who used to live near Hamilton.

She also suggested trying the university sites but didn't say which ones have horticulture departments.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I WANT to buy a Calamansi/Calamondin tree, but my source must be in Canada, preferably in Ontario.  So far my searches have turned up nothing.

I got information about

She also suggested trying the university sites but didn't say which ones have horticulture departments.

Thank you muchly. I'll give it a try. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I got information about

Thank you muchly. I'll give it a try. :smile:

Starting with your post, I found Calamansi trees for sale in Ottawa. Unfortunately they, Richmond Nurseries, won't ship. Period. I begged. They said, No.

Now I have to find someone in Ottawa to get me one or two...or look further in Toronto. But thanks again for the leads....is there anything which you and Kerry do not know? :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Now I have to find someone in Ottawa to get me one or two...or look further in Toronto.  But thanks again for the leads....is there anything which you and Kerry do not know? :wink:

I can't speak for Kerry, but for me the answer is that there are vast areas about I know absolutely nothing.

However, I "collect" odd facts and I do know how to ask for information and I know a lot of people, many met during the years that I traveled extensively while showing dogs.

Just as in the foodie community, the dog fancy is a sub-culture in which one is considered almost family if one has the same breed or has similar likes and dislikes. There were many trips, some crossing the country, where I never had to resort to parking my motorhome in a commercial campground. No matter where I went, there would be someone I knew who would offer a place to park, help with my dogs and hospitality.

Needless to mention that I returned the favor often.

I also know how to research things, having taken a course on private investigation techniques back in the late '70s and was on a first name basis with every librarian in my area.... Believe me, it is much easier now.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I can't speak for Kerry, but for me the answer is that there are vast areas about I know absolutely nothing.

However, I "collect" odd facts and I do know how to ask for information and I know a lot of people, many met during the years that I traveled extensively while showing dogs.

Just as in the foodie community, the dog fancy is a sub-culture in which one is considered almost family if one has the same breed or has similar likes and dislikes.  There were many trips, some crossing the country, where I never had to resort to parking my motorhome in a commercial campground.  No matter where I went, there would be someone I knew who would offer a place to park, help with my dogs and hospitality. 

Needless to mention that I returned the favor often. 

I also know how to research things, having taken a course on private investigation techniques back in the late '70s and was on a first name basis with every librarian in my area....  Believe me, it is much easier now.

Thanks Andie,

The collecting of odds and sods of facts over a lifetime is fascinating. :rolleyes:

My friend with the calamansi tree has generous allowed me to take one or two of her seedlings and for that I am overjoyed. Plus I am taking her a generous supply of chocolate-dipped candied ginger.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.