• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Elevation Burger

jim07044

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my grand opening review:

Ordered the Elevation Burger (double cheeseburger) with caramelized onions and a side of fries. The burger was cooked well-done (I was not asked how I wanted it cooked, so I presume the standard policy is to cook them all well-done) and it was dry and flavorless. The melted cheese and ketchup provided the only wet texture. This was disappointing, given the "better burger" expectation that comes from organic, grass-fed, free-range beef. Maybe if they could make the patties thicker and offer them cooked medium-rare with a seared crust flavor profile, then maybe I could taste a difference between "better beef" and McDonalds-grade burgers. Without some kind of distinctive "wow" factor in flavor/taste, I fear many one-time customers will tag this place as another yuppie spot for the Whole Foods demographic.

The fries, on the other hand, were exceptional. I did not try the milkshakes or malts, so I may make another visit just for one of those. Note that they use fresh bananas and strawberries, but syrups for the other flavored shakes/malts ... can you guess which ones would probably taste better?

The restaurant itself is located in a nice corner spot on Bloomfield Ave and North Willow St, but there is no restaurant-dedicated parking lot, and parking in Montclair is infamously limited. You can get lucky with on-street parking on North Willow St, or take a chance in one of the "tenant only" spaces in the parking lot behind the restaurant. The interior space is modern with lots of glass, and a nice quiet seating area is located in the rear.

Dined at Elevation Burger on opening night. I am a huge fan of Five Guys for quick, fast-food burger, so I'm somewhat biased going into this post.

I found the Elevation Burger a bit flavorless and greasy (probably b/c of the cheddar which had melted to all but oblivion) and agree that the grass-fed beef does not benefit from being cooked at what is probably very high heat to well done. It needs moderate heat to medium at best.

I also do not see the point in frying the french fries in olive oil. They were not crisp or exceptional.

As far as the milkshakes, they used Blue Bunny ice cream, which to me is just eh.

If I want a quick, fast-food-like experience I'm sticking with Five Guys, which is soon opening up in the area.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

lunch on 8/5 - Restaurant was about 1/2 full. Ordered -burger, 2 cheeseburgers, one order fries, fountain soda, and a shake - Total with tax $ 22.19

We really liked the fries,shoestring with some very crispy edges, not greasy. Burgers were okay,but almost overcooked. Cheese had a great taste, but burgers seem a little lost in the buns.My son had a shake, very thick but slightly blah flavor. I think the ice cream brand is below average.Kid's favorite part was how they walk around yelling people's names to deliver food and no one listens to them. It's an open modern looking space, so it's very noisy.

Will we go back ? Maybe but probably not right away. Too many similar places.

• 2 weeks later...

Went there on 8/6 for dinner. I had the elevation burger and my girlfriend a single cheeseburger. Both burgers were greasy and bland. Seemed a little overcooked as well. I really disliked the shoestring fries as well. As stated before, if I want a greasy fast food like experience I will be sticking to 5 guys, which is supposed to open in Montclair soon.