• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Five Guys Burgers

jim07044

I did a search and could not find any previous posts, surprisingly, since some locations have been open for over a year. I've been visiting the one in Wayne off of Rt 23 (just past Burger Deluxe) and have also visited the one in Watchung. Excellent burgers IMHO, highly recommend the "double" instead of the "single." Fries are hand-cut in-store and cooked in peanut oil.

Newest location opening in the old Olympic Store in the Upper Montclair village.

IMO when new fast-food chains open up, a flurry of hundreds upon hundreds flood to get a taste of what would be deemed "ordinary" for most in other locations where it has been around for over a decade, quite insanely bizarre.

I'm not saying five-guys is overrated, their pretty good. But very recently a Sonic's opened up around here and they had to issue police to go over there for crowd control...

Oh what media has upon people these days.

Jim

I was somewhat disappointed in their burgers but really enjoyed the hand cut fries. I have had truly transcendant burgers elsewhere and 5 guys just doesn't come near to living up to the hype. What's up with only being able to get them well done? Who wants a well done hamburger anyway???

FYI Five Guys doesn't pretend to be gourmet, organic (there are signs for where today's potatoes come from, but no info about where the beef comes from and how it was raised), or otherwise transcendant. What it does well is good burgers for a cheap price that are a step-up in experience from McDonalds and Burger King.

All thats missing is a Presidental Seal of Approval.

More info:

Q: Why does Five Guys only serve burgers cooked well done?

A: By cooking all of our burgers juicy and well done we are able to achieve two goals.

1. Insure a consistent product

2. Meet or exceed health code standards for ground beef

We understand that there are varying opinions on what level a burger should be cooked for optimal flavor and our opinion is that our burgers taste best cooked juicy and well done.

Q: Does Five Guys serve organic or free range beef?

A: While our beef is neither organic nor are the cattle free range, our distributor purchases raw materials from the major meat suppliers in the US and they treat the cattle humanely and follow all the procedures set forth by the USDA.

Q: Is Five Guys trans-fat free?

A: Yes! All of our products are trans-fat free. Our ground beef, like all beef, contains traces of naturally occurring trans-fats but they are less than 0.5 grams per serving.

If you absolutely must have a burger, and a diner isn't within easy reach, Five Guys is decent, but they gave me TONS of fries for my Regular.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

What it does well is good burgers for a cheap price that are a step-up in experience from McDonalds and Burger King.

In this context I would agree. It's just that down here in the Philly area, all the buzz about how really great the burgers were just didn't live up to the hype IMO. The fries though, well that's another story completely.

Agreed: Five Guys is to fries as Rutt's Hut is to onion rings.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

My go-to burger place in the Monmouth County area has to be BOOM in Belmar. A serious sit-down restaurant with table service. Their meats are custom blended by Pat Lafrieda Meats of NYC and is always fresh, never frozen. No waiting, clutching a number, for overcooked prefab hockey pucks...

BoomMainPage_500.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

In my area we have In n Out burgers that while not claiming to be gourmet either are pretty good. A Fudruckers opened up last year and while not primo - pretty good for going out. They too will not cook even med rare. They have a pretty decent buffalo buger.