• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toffee Question

Amy Eber

I made toffee yesterday and had some problems I have not had before. I used 12 ounces of butter, a dash of salt and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. I always cook it over low heat in a non-stick pan, stirring almost constantly. The mixture usually seperates at about 270 degrees then pulls together, with stirring, at the desired 305 degrees. I could not get it to emulsify this time when it reached 305 until I furiously whisked it for almost 20 more minutes and brought it to 315+ degrees. It tastes a little more cooked than I like.

It was a humid, cool day here in Zurich, Switzerland but nothing extreme so I doubt it was the weather. I stirred the mixture constantly throughout the cooking period and kept the heat on low. Any suggestions of what went wrong this time? I was barely able to save it. Thanks.

I'm impressed that you got it to go back together! I use equal amounts by weight of butter and sugar and 2 oz of water per lb of butter/sugar. If I don't get the sugar completely dissolved in the butter and water before starting to boil, I have the same problem. I even rinse off the stirring tool to be sure not to introduce sugar crystals back into the batch. I made 2000# last Christmas :biggrin: Toffee, like chocolate, occasionally likes to let you know who is really in charge.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Is that your usual recipe? 1-1/2 cups of sugar is only about 10-1/2 ounces, so having more butter than sugar could make things tricky. I don't have a recipe handy, but I think mine uses much more sugar than butter, 2:1 or 3:1. More butter is usually better, but I think there is a maximum amount the sugar can soak up.

Thanks for the tips. Next time I will be sure to dissolve the sugar before it boils and I will add a little water. Getting the mixture back together was tricky - and I have the burn marks to prove it.

I tried Brandini toffee at the Palm Desert, Ca. flea market and loved it - not too hard and not too soft. I was hoping to figure out their recipe then heard the two teenagers who founded the company were on Martha Stewart. I use their recipe which is posted on her website.

quote=pastrygirl,Jul 8 2009, 12:58 PM]

Is that your usual recipe? 1-1/2 cups of sugar is only about 10-1/2 ounces, so having more butter than sugar could make things tricky. I don't have a recipe handy, but I think mine uses much more sugar than butter, 2:1 or 3:1. More butter is usually better, but I think there is a maximum amount the sugar can soak up.