• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Really, Really Bad Cocktail Names

I just saw an ad for -- I'm not joking -- sweet tea vodka, heading for a likker store shelf near you. In the ad, some flak offered a recipe. Instead of saying the obvious ("Perfect for those workaday mornings when your iced tea isn't quite enough"), they invented a Mojito riff called, that's right, the Moteato.

Perhaps you never thought you'd see the word "teat" buried in a drink name but have similarly appalling names to share. I admit I'm speechless.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Worst part is that there are at least two different 'sweet tea' vodkas on the market . . .

And I thought Three Olives was scraping the bottom of the barrel with root beer flavored vodka. Who drinks this stuff? :blink:

On the original topic, I always cringe slightly when I see a Tequila Mockingbird.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

My vote goes to BLOODY BUTRUM. I mean who the hell thought this could possibly be an appetizing name for a cocktail? I don't care what's in it; I don't care whether it's good; I just don't want to know. icon8.gif

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

There are any number of 70s' drinks whose names are even worse than their ingredients -- Freddy Fudpucker, anyone?

(Actually, Gary Regan sez it's not as bad as it sounds, but with a name like that . . . . .)

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban