• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for a trip to Spain

camdan

Just to say briefly that our lunch at Etxebarri last week was spectacular, but lunch at Mugaritz was very disappointing. Much much worse than my previous visit. Underseasoned and underpowered throughout, many dishes didn't make any sense to me (ie the salsify) and others were style over substance (the veal).

Anyone been to Sant Pau lately? I need another table somewhere, preferably close to Barcelona. Was thinking Cinc Sentits but it's closed when I'll be there.

Hispania, Can Fabes, Can Jubany, Els Casals? The last two, slightly farther from BCN.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

I will chime in for a vote for Extebarri. We were there about two weeks ago and found it a magnificent experience all around. You must not miss the barnacles. The langoustine was the best I've ever had the pleasure of messily devouring. I could go on with a string of adjectives but I suppose you get the picture. The drive up is also gorgeous, as is the view from the dining room. If you ask nice they'll let you see the kitchen, which is an experience in itself (all those mysterious implements...)

Should have photos and a report up very soon.

Just to say briefly that our lunch at Etxebarri last week was spectacular, but lunch at Mugaritz was very disappointing. Much much worse than my previous visit. Underseasoned and underpowered throughout, many dishes didn't make any sense to me (ie the salsify) and others were style over substance (the veal).

We are early into our Spanish trip and i'll agree 100% with Andy's assessment. Etxebarri was outstanding, amazing, wonderful. All good dishes, some spectacular. I would travel back to the area just to go back. Make that reservation for a date after their August break.

Just finished our meal at Mugaritz this evening on the Natura menu. Very very disappointing - actually considered leaving half way through if it wasn't for the proteins that were all very good to excellent. Many many bland dishes. My guest and I didn't get many of them (and neither did most of the guests in the room from the volumes their faces spoke- particularly the salsify and the "red fruits" dessert). If you complain, additional courses will come if you want them though. Service was excellent all around.

Next up Can Roca, El Bulli and who knows else. Photos and more details to follow in a week.

• 5 weeks later...

Got back a couple of days ago. Can Roca was superb, highlights being the caramelised black olive (didn't think much of the green one), the butter and olive oil bread, the amazingly incredibly good prawn and the cuban cigar ice cream. I'll probably post more thoughts and my impressions of a few other places a little later.