• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

America in Tenafly

Susan

I'm supposed to go to America next weekend.  I was just wondering if anyone had any feedback to share.

America is a wonderful restaurant, with a seasonal menu. The chef is highly accomplished and does a great job at mixing creole, carribbean, european and asian cooking techniques and ingredients to produce a unique cuisine, thats a little bit on the spicy side.

In particular he does a very good job with seafood, so anything you get with scallops, shrimp, lobster, fish, etc will be very nice indeeed. The desserts are inventive and he prepares different sorbets every evening depending on what fresh fruit he has on hand.

Rachel and I ate there recently for our anniversary and we had a great time, the food as usual was excellent. They have a nice wine list of unusual American wines, with many things by the glass so you can try different stuff.

Unquestionably one of Jersey's best restaurants.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I almost don't have anything to add. Everything's been really great everytime we go there. Actually, that apple-thyme sorbet was the only thing that I haven't liked. There were three sorbets of the day, available individually or as a combo. We ordered the combo and only two arrived. We asked for the apple, which sounded the most interesting (the others were Raspberry-Margarita and Strawberry-something, both very good). The server brought out the apple in its own dish saying he didn't know why it wasn't included when the combo was dished out. I do. It was weird. Not desserty at all, although it may have made an interesting intermezzo. The thyme flavor really dominated the apple.

Anyway, on a more positive note, Jason almost always gets the Caribbean Shrimp appetizer, it is fabulous. Last time I made him get something else, the tuna tartar, which was equally as good. I've enjoyed their soups on other occasions, last time I had an interesting salad with heirloom tomatoes. Mains are great too, but don't feel obligated to stick with the seafood. They even have an diverse bread bucket served with chili-butter (regular butter available upon request).

Be sure to let us know how you enjoyed it after your meal. :smile:

We ate there about a month ago with some friends. Dinner was very good, but our waiter pronounced half the dishes wrong. We had fun trying to figure out what the pumkin G-Nocki were!

Has anyone been there for Sunday brunch?

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

America, after close to a 1 year hiatus, is re-opening shortly with Jamie Milkman as chef (formerly of 90 Grand Grille in Englewood) and with a new owner (Joseph Sanzari, of Sanzari's New Bridge Inn, and Bergen County contstruction bigwig)

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 3 months later...

A further update -- America will not be called America. It will be a Oyster Bar and Grill of some sort.

• 1 month later...