• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who's got fresh morels in Northern NJ?

My usual places are tapped. Where can I find some?

Edited by richl2214 (log)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Garden of Eden in South Orange?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

You should note that morels have not (to my knowledge) been successfully cultivated, and so you are at the whims of the Wild Mushroom Gods, who have pretty much decreed that there will be no morels until next Spring.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

They actually can be cultivated with a lot of sweat and tears and tons of luck but its so not worth even attempting. I bought fresh morels at Depiero's last year in July so somebody is growing them.

Thanks for the leads guys I'll check em out

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

They actually can be cultivated with a lot of sweat and tears and tons of luck  but its so not worth even attempting.  I bought fresh morels at Depiero's last year in July so somebody is growing them.

If you find them, and have the opportunity to discover their source, please report back; I am curious.

(I spent a few minutes Googling around and came up with one supplier in Oregon who claimed to have them for sale -- though it could just be a website that wasn't updated -- and a place that morel growing kits, but cultivated morels for sale).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

They actually can be cultivated with a lot of sweat and tears and tons of luck  but its so not worth even attempting.  I bought fresh morels at Depiero's last year in July so somebody is growing them.

If you find them, and have the opportunity to discover their source, please report back; I am curious.

(I spent a few minutes Googling around and came up with one supplier in Oregon who claimed to have them for sale -- though it could just be a website that wasn't updated -- and a place that morel growing kits, but cultivated morels for sale).

Found 'em today but they didn't divulge their source, well it was more like the people I asked had no idea. Bought 3/4 lb total fresh. I put about 1/8 of the smaller ones in the dehydrator to dry and fried up the rest in butter with a a lite coating in flour. $30/Lb worth it at twice the price these gems.

Edited by richl2214 (log)

• 10 months later...

Back at the fancy food show in 2008, I remember there was a company who claimed to have figured out how to cultivate them, but of course didn't want to divulge any secrets. I don't remember any useful details, like a name, unfortunately!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

I grow mushrooms too, I like the log medium the best as you get bigger harvests than those indoor kits.
I put in a morel mushroom patch outside in a corner of my yard.
We have a couple of threads going on this somewhere here.
I grow shitake, maitkake, brown, blue and pearl oysters, morels, lions's mane etc.
Fun stuff to grow.

3 hours ago, Hollaatme said:

I grow mushrooms too, I like the log medium the best as you get bigger harvests than those indoor kits.
I put in a morel mushroom patch outside in a corner of my yard.
We have a couple of threads going on this somewhere here.
I grow shitake, maitkake, brown, blue and pearl oysters, morels, lions's mane etc.
Fun stuff to grow.

I'm intrigued. Thanks for the link; I read it and chased some of the links. If I were to put a raised, subdivided bed around the base of an oak tree, would that be an appropriate place to try growing mushrooms? I live in Zone 7, so we have a lengthy growing season and relatively warm winter; we'll get below freezing a dozen times or more a winter, but we won't stay there more than a couple of days, typically.

What kind of soil medium is best for growing mushrooms? Typically in raised beds, I use a combo of garden soil with horse manure worked in during the fall and left to percolate over the winter under straw. Then I turn the straw under before planting. Will that work? Fertilizer or no? If so, what kind?

I love picking herbs and tomatoes and fresh veggies in the morning for dinner that night. Mushrooms would be an added plus!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com