• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Hapas Tapas"...?

feedmec00kies

The Hapa Kitchen, a "supper club" in New York, invited the core team of a group I'm volunteering with to a "hapa tapas" night on Wednesday, and asked us all to bring something.

(For those of you who don't know what "hapa" means, it comes from a term that means "mixed race", particularly someone who is of partial Asian heritage)

I'm all fresh out of ideas, and would appreciate some help.

My main criteria is that it'll be able to sit for a night; my summer work hours have me home by 7, and this event is at 8, so I have only enough time to do finishing touches.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

BTW, I'm trying to think in the Jewish/Chinese vein, since that's what my parents are...

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

eG Ethics Signatory

BTW, I'm trying to think in the Jewish/Chinese vein, since that's what my parents are...

Diced lox and cream cheese with caper and chive served on top of a deep fried wonton skin cup. Let me know if you need instruction on how to make the wontun cups.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I actually came up with an idea that's actually pretty easy.

Right now I've got a bunch of smoked tea eggs simmering in a pot on the stove. I'm going to make deviled eggs out of them, substituting mustard for either an asian mustard, wasabi, or both, and substituting regular mayo for Kewpie. After I pipe the yolk mixture back in, I'm going to garnish with thin rings of scallion, black sesame seeds, and a few grains of smoked salt.

I'm going to employ my boyfriend's help to peel the eggs in the hour before I get home. :raz:

eG Ethics Signatory