• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Artisan Restaurant, Hessle, East Yorkshire

Hello all

Wanted to bring to your attention that Artisan is very soon going to be offering a three course dinner for the absolute bargain price of just twenty five pounds p.p. :smile:

This is an offer which is being run in partnership with the Michelin guide and Telegraph newspaper. It will commence from the middle of July to mid September. If it takes off and is a viable propostion to the restaurant, L and I may well carry the deal on.

The deal will be on offer from Tuesday night through to Thursday night inclusive. As per norm, there will be NO table turning, added service charges etc, just good hearty Yorkshire food.

My fab value tasting menu will also be available throughtout, priced at forty five pounds per person. P.S This not tight, little portions! :wink:

All details of the promotion and how to participate will be printed in the Telegraph, on Saturday 11th July 09.

www.artisanrestaurant.com

Hello all

Wanted to bring to your attention that Artisan is very soon going to be offering a three course dinner for the absolute bargain price of just twenty five pounds p.p. :smile:

This is an offer which is being run in partnership with the Michelin guide and Telegraph newspaper. It will commence from the middle of July to mid September. If it takes off and is a viable propostion to the restaurant, L and I may well carry the deal on.

The deal will be on offer from Tuesday night through to Thursday night inclusive. As per norm, there will be NO table turning, added service charges etc, just good hearty Yorkshire food.

My fab value tasting menu will also be available throughtout, priced at forty five pounds per person. P.S This not tight, little portions!  :wink:

All details of the promotion and how to participate will be printed in the Telegraph, on Saturday 11th July 09.

www.artisanrestaurant.com

Good on yer mate, no excuse for me now :smile:

Thanks to your mention in one of your posts, finally got round to a weekend visit to La Trompette, will write it up in next couple a days.

Be busy.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

food1: that little bit of javascript on your homepage that flashes new images happens too quickly, in my opinion.. barely had a chance to figure out what was in the picture before it flashed and changed. And the "flash" effect is kind of "bright" and sudden. But the food sounds amazing. Shame I'm too far away..

If I am your princess, then where is my crown?

food1: that little bit of javascript on your homepage that flashes new images happens too quickly, in my opinion.. barely had a chance to figure out what was in the picture before it flashed and changed. And the "flash" effect is kind of "bright" and sudden. But the food sounds amazing. Shame I'm too far away..

Thanks for your comments Time. I'd not really thought the 'javascript' before, due to the fact Im no web wizard!! It sort of does the job that Im after at the moment. Good point anyway.......p.s Your never too far!!!!!! :laugh:

I’m pleased to see a thread on Artisan, so let me contribute something… I’ve visited Artisan about four or five times over the past couple of years: it’s quickly become one of the best places to east in East Yorkshire (alongside The Pipe and Glass, South Dalton). Unlike a hybrid pub-restaurant such as The Pipe and Glass, Artisan operates at a smaller scale. It has c. 5-6 tables and there are often only two people involved: the guy we know as Food1 cooking, and Lindsey as FoH. It is also, and unashamedly, a sincere and pure restaurant in ethos and purpose: there’s no bar, nor a subsidiary brasserie menu, and the place simply offers two options at each course, or a tasting menu of everything. At first sight this might seem limiting, but I’ve never found it so. These parameters also mean that there can’t be anything overly experimental on the menus - although on reflection I’d say that the food has become more adventurous as the place has settled down.

A recent meal involved starters of smoked salmon with watermelon cubes and a pile of tasty crab; or a very generous stack of duck and mushrooms on a brioche with just enough balsamic to ease all these elements together and keep them moist. The duck dish was especially good.

Main course for most of us was pork three-ways: roasted, a tasty, textured sausage, and a long, thick strip of beautiful belly pork that melted in the mouth. One of us had a perfectly cooked halibut fillet that rested on a bed of crab, prawns and potatoes. This piece of fish was indecently generous by comparison with some of the apologetic morsels provided by some places. As Food1 implies up-thread, no-one goes home hungry.

Desserts were white chocolate pots for most of my party, which they all seemed very pleased with. I had a strawberry and vanilla cheesecake that was exceptionally light in texture but clear in flavour - very impressive, and the best cheesecake I can remember in ages.

In sum, this is all very well cooked, high-quality food with clarity of flavour and classical combinations that therefore always work. The food has got better on each visit and, to my mind, several dishes here have outstripped comparable offerings in much longer-established, and Michelin-starred places. Artisan also introduced us to the rather entertaining Deus beer-champagne as an aperitif (which at that point we couldn’t trace anywhere in the UK - now at Waitrose). Very decent chocolates accompany the teas / coffees, although they once provided a paper bag of kiddies’ sweets at this stage, and Mrs. Kropotkin mourns their passing.

Finally, a special word for Lindsey who coordinates everything in the dining room and is simply excellent. Someone told me she’d been a copper in her past life. Whatever the source of her conversational and diplomatic skills, she’s born to the role and does it so effortlessly that you wonder why can’t everyone in FoH be like this?

Just realised we are participating in this one too! Let me know how your take up is, from memory last time we did something similar we were fairly mobbed!

Erica

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Just realised we are participating in this one too! Let me know how your take up is, from memory last time we did something similar we were fairly mobbed!

Erica

Will do Erica, I'll keep you posted. Be interesting to note any north/ south divide! L & I are virgins to this type of promo but willing to participate in a bit of rough!!! :laugh

Hope you do well Erica.

• 5 years later...

An old thread but I live in hope of an answer... Any news on when R&L will open a new place? I have fond memories of a 100 mile round trip for the tasting menu. I'd just like to know when they are back in the restaurant trade and to make a pilgrimage to their new place when it opens.

• 9 months later...

Richard and Lindsey are back in business at the Falcon Inn, Withernwick, near Beverley, East Yorkshire. See: thefalconatwithernwick.co.uk

I've not been yet, to my shame (not that I get out these days...), but all reviews have been very positive. Why not give them a visit and report back?