• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Record Restaurant Reviews

ngatti

[Frankly, I don't understand why you subscribe to a paper you don't like. Please note, I am not asking for, nor do I want an answer to that, it is rhetorical. ]

whether you asked or whether you desire an answer is up to you.

why do I subscribe. Well I pay 49 cents a week for Friday to Sunday. My main reason for subscribing to the paper is the Real Estate Section. I Never slammed the Record as a whole, I only would love to see improvement with the restaurant reviews. I will continue to make comments on the Record as I desire.

I think if you're in the area, a better choice would be Freelance Cafe. It's just down the street in Piermont. I was there yesterday (Thurs.) and lunch was head and shoulders better. No comparison really. Both in culinary philosophy, sourcing of ingredients, and execution.

I hear from several trusted and respected sources, that The Baker's Wife (a sandwich shop also located in Tappan, NY) is a great bet for lunch also.

Sorry folks, but IMO, the '76 House is a dowdy old frump living on past memories. In fact, my wife and I asked each other what Peter and Ned Kelly (Xavier's, among others) could do with this location. It is a great historical site. It's screaming for the Larry Forgione treatment.

Nick

Nick, my sentiments exactly on Freelance in Piermont. Had good meals there. Only downside is cash only, no mileage. I had a good meal at the 76 House about 18 years ago, but it really needs someone with energy to get it going again-- it is a lovely setting.

The Record Restaurant reviewers are very strange-- I saw them give 3 1/2 stars to a dump on Forest Ave in Paramus that closed 3 months after the review. Are these reviewers objective, or is there any hint of hanky panky going on?

Since we are talking about restaurants in that general neck of the woods (or thereabouts).... has anythign gone in where La Finestra used to be? It appears to be up above the western end of Rte 3 - sort of of up in the trees beyond where the statue of the Virgin Marty is on the eastbound side of Rte 3. There's a small sign pointing to it up a street off Grove, just after you exit Rte 3 and head towardsa Montclair. I never got around to finding it and now discover that (supposedly) it has closed.

I did try the Backstreet Gourmet in Nutley about two years ago at the insistence of a friend who knew one of the owners. It was okay but I was neutral on the food, underwhelmed by the service and found it to be a bit pricey for the type of restaurant that it is.

Since we are talking about restaurants in that general neck of the woods (or thereabouts).... has anythign gone in where La Finestra used to be?  It appears to be up above the western end of Rte 3 - sort of of up in the trees beyond where the statue of the Virgin Marty is on the eastbound side of Rte 3.  There's a small sign pointing to it up a street off Grove, just after you exit Rte 3 and head towardsa Montclair. I never got around to finding it and now discover that (supposedly) it has closed.

The Virgin Marty? What's this, some new religion? Given all the problems religions seem to be creating, I can't imagine we need any new ones.

That restaurant used to be Vincent's, up on the top of the hill by the Olivetan (Sylvestrine?) Benedictine church. Ate there once a few years ago, wasn't impressed, never went back.

The Baker's Wife was described as being owned by the wife of the baker at Balthazar Bakery in Englewood.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

R$osie, After your remark about the restaurant Papillion and many other Italian restaurants in NJ how about your take on things recently said on the Vecchia Napoli post. Would love to hear your take on what I believe to be a big problem in B.C.

Hank

The Baker's Wife was described as being owned by the wife of the baker at Balthazar Bakery in Englewood.

The husband of the baker at Balthazar. I believe he is a she, she is a he...Oh hell...

The head baker at Balthazar is a woman and her husband runs The Baker's Wife.

Nick, my sentiments exactly on Freelance in Piermont.  Had good meals there.  Only downside is cash only, no mileage.  I had a good meal at the 76 House about 18 years ago, but it really needs someone with energy to get it going again-- it is a lovely setting.  

The Record Restaurant reviewers are very strange-- I saw them give 3 1/2 stars to a dump on Forest Ave in Paramus that closed 3 months after the review.  Are these reviewers objective, or is there any hint of hanky panky going on?

I forgot about the no cash thing. However they have accepted my personal check at Xavier's.

The '76 house? You may be able to get a good meal again. I was only there once (but once was enough). Attention needs to be paid to little things on the service side and some larger ones on the culinary side. They do a brisk catering business. Sometimes that easier money gets in the way of things.

The Record critics? There used to be a lot of them. I see 4 or 5 regulars now. Jeff Schwartz looks like a comer. He also just had a piece in Cook's Illustrated. David Bonom also writes for Cooking Light (huge circulation food mag). Cookbook author and food writer Marge Perry will also occasionally post here on eGullet.

I've been cooking here in Bergen County for about twenty years now. If there were rumors about "hanky panky" I would have heard 'em, and I haven't. Say what you will about the writing; the reviewers as a lot are a pretty ethical bunch.

cheers

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)

No question about that Tommy but I can name you 6 right now that I and lots of other foodies would gladly go to any time. Too bad that I can't say that (and believe me I would love to) about B.C.

hank, for every one restaurant in BC that i actually want to go to, i can name probably 15 in NYC. but BC ain't NYC. never has been. never will. doesn't try to be. but at least it ain't passaic county. :biggrin::unsure:

Don't be dissin Passaic Co. Where else can you get the best Texas weiner, a fries all the way and Middle Eastern food for less than the price of a app. in BC. Don't get me started on the pizza situation!

edit: finally got to 200.

Edited by Double 0 (log)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Maybe Double 0 should've been 973 instead!

Bring it on 973... BRING IT ON!

(I'm just kidding of course. I've got nothing against Passaic County... some of my best friends are from Passaic County! :laugh: )

Seriously though... what's up with the pizza situation? I know you suggested some Passaic Co. places over in the pizza thread, but you didn't comment on any of the Bergen Co. places. Maybe you could bring that thread back into discussion?

Hank--There are many ho-hum Italian restaurants in NJ but there are also some that are great. I don't live in BC so I am not familiar with all the little mom and pop places that may be worth a visit. However, some of my favorite Italian restaurants that I think are a cut above the others are: Corso 98--Montclair; Casa di Amici--Denville; Scalini Fedeli--Chatham; Il Momdo Vecchio--Madison and Basilico in Millburn. Granted that NJ doesn't have any restaurant that comes close to Lupa (my favorite in NYC) but parking is free and you don't have to fight traffic unless you are going to Hoboken. BTW--Augustino's in Hoboken is very good.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Hank--There are many ho-hum Italian restaurants in NJ but there are also some that are great. I don't live in BC so I am not familiar with all the little mom and pop places that may be worth a visit. However, some of my favorite Italian restaurants that I think are a cut above the others are: Corso 98--Montclair; Casa di Amici--Denville; Scalini Fedeli--Chatham; Il Momdo Vecchio--Madison and Basilico in Millburn. Granted that NJ doesn't have any restaurant that comes close to Lupa (my favorite in NYC) but parking is free and you don't have to fight traffic unless you are going to Hoboken. BTW--Augustino's in Hoboken is very good.

Ahh. There ya go Rosie. From NE Bergen County, it's far easier to hop over the bridge than to drive to any of those places. Much easier drive for us (even Montclair isn't an easy drive). Depending on the neighborhood, on-street parking isn't a problem after 7:00PM.

Not continuing an argument. It's just a something others and myself think about when we consider restaurants up in this NE corner of our woods. But I understand about restaurants being loathe to take culinary risks.

Nick

Hellooooooo? I think that MAYBE everyone's forgetting that The Olive Garden is in Secaucus! :laugh:

Seriously though, I agree that it's probably easier to go into the city than to go to the places Rosie listed (since the closest one is in Essex County)... but is there truly NO Italian restaurant in Bergen County worth the trip? Nothing in Hackensack, Bergenfield, Lodi, Rutherford, Lyndhurst, Montvale, Englewood? Granted, I don't really go looking for Italian places and I'm sure that most of them are going to be pretty homogenously watered-down Americanized Italian... but not ONE that's worthy of mention?

edit: der schpelling war kaputt!

Edited by 201 (log)

Hellooooooo?  I think that MAYBE everyone's forgetting that The Olive Garden is in Secaucus!  :laugh:

Seriously though, I agree that it's probably easier to go into the city than to go to the places Rosie listed (since the closest one is in Essex County)... but is there truly NO Italian restaurant in Bergen County worth the trip?  Nothing in Hackensack, Bergenfield, Lodi, Rutherford, Lyndhurst, Montvale, Englewood?  Granted, I don't really go looking for Italian places and I'm sure that most of them are going to be pretty homogenously watered-down Americanized Italian... but not ONE that's worthy of mention?

edit: der schpelling war kaputt!

Well 201, I hope we come up with one. I'm ready to try Caruso's based on Jason and Tommy (the first nice things I've ever heard about the place). I know there used to be a place in hasbrouck heights that was pretty good. Ownwer came from Le Cirque. But that's gone. I like Jerry's in Rutherford, and Andiamo is convenient, but I'm looking for a Italian culinary epiphany :rolleyes::wink: . Sometimes I need a break from Thai food or Houston's ribs (good ribs but a bit pricey).

Nick