• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Record Restaurant Reviews

ngatti

Nick -

You've put your finger on the key issue. What does an informed observer think of the stuff on the plate and in the room? A reviewer takes a stand, and describes.

You like it. OK. Here's why. Better. Good reviewers do this. Bad reviewers don't.

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

what's wrong with these reviews? they seemed honest enough to me. was it use of full sentences that pisses of some people? the review of cinque figlie seemed fair enough. not much unlike my experience at chef joe's old place in mo-town. great in some respects, ok in others. so?

Dodge - I am now asking you to stop trashing the Record at every turn. We get it. You don't like their reviews. Noted. Frankly, I don't understand why you subscribe to a paper you don't like. :hmmm: Please note, I am not asking for, nor do I want an answer to that, it is rhetorical.

Now, as for the reviews, I only read the one about Cinque Figlie. While on the whole, it sounds fair - the reviewer didn't seem to sample any of their signature dishes. These being the red pepper soup, the black risotto (or black linguini) with seafood, or the striped farfalle pasta (not made in house, but prepared especially for the restaurant). Chef Joe has a way with squid ink. :biggrin:

Noted. The stars are in the hardcopy. Why not on line? Prolly an oversight or a space consideration thing. Usually they leave out the entire sidebar that contains the pertinent info. It;s a Northjersey.com thing, not the Record.

Nick

Okay - I am still trying to find out what ratings these two restaurants got - - the reviews seem decent - but how many stars did they get??

try e-mailing the webmaster at NJ.com and see if they'll correct the listings to include the ratings. That or start buying the paper on Friday's :shock:

Edited by Nockerl (log)

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm sure not many here would like to go, I liked the sound of "Kamil's Lebanese Cuisine in Clifton". Hookahs and raki (pronounced rah hee.) Takes me back to the days when I was hanging out with Armenians and Greeks in Boston. I'm a sucker for good Middle Eastern food.

This Weeks Reviews from The Record

Alrighty now. The 76 House in Tappan. They liked it???

It must have been torn down, rebuilt, and reopened under new management in the month since I've been there. Truly one of the TOP 5 Worst meals I have ever (not) eaten (I was afraid to...truly) in my life. Dirty water glasses times two (yes, the replacement also). An autumn menu (she neglects to add, autumn 1947). Dinner rolls that tasted more of freezer than bread. She was kind in her criticism of the Onion Soup (crude impolitic bastard that I am, I just thought it plain sucked). Two Hamburgers, one bite for me, one bite for my wife and...Check Please! The old meat was left on the plate as we enjoyed our Frozen french Fry lunch. No inquiry from the rumpled waitstaff.

Discretion is the better part of valor. I'm cuttin' my losses and gettin' outta Dodge.

There is an air of neglect about this place that shouts "what a shame!" For it is a pretty setting and they could do so much more. Edible food would be a start. But go ahead. Give it a try...If you dare.

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)

Gee Nick, tell us how you really feel. :cool:

The other restaurant reviewed is Papillon in Nutley. It is a mixed review, the first visit was a bad experience, the second more positive. I'd heard positive things about this restaurant in the past, but haven't tried it myself. Other experiences?

Nick -

with antelope and rabbit on the menu, you ordered the burgers?  Ms Rabat seemed to enjoy her meal, based on the review.

Paul

edit: Which begs the question why would *I* (25 year culinary pro, pretty extensive background in both NYC and NJ. A guy who seems to know his way around the current pantheon of au courant ingredients and cuisines), only order burgers. [/edit]

I was afraid to. Dirty Water glasses, Freezer burnt rolls (really, the kind that have spent a month or two in there). Old dirty menus. General mustiness. You know the kind of place. I have too much respect for my stomach to gamble at this point. :biggrin:

But you're quite correct. Ms. Rabat liked it. She ate more meals there than I did and she is the reviewer after all. So go ahead. Give it a try. :smile::wink:

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)