• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birmingham

We are heading up to Brum on Saturday for a weekend curry fest.

My better half refuses to eat curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Thus I need a decent meal to start the day that isn't curry,

I think I can get away with a late start, coffee, then dim sum.

But is there a decent dim sum place in Brum? (freshly cooked please, no carts)

If it's not too late for a suggestion, my regular is The Golden Pond in the Arcadian Centre in the middle of town. Second would be Wing Wah next to Wing Yip Supermarket but that's a little out of town.

The chicken feet at The Golden Pond is better than in Hong Kong!

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)

If it's not too late for a suggestion, my regular is The Golden Pond in the Arcadian Centre in the middle of town.  Second would be Wing Wah next to Wing Yip Supermarket but that's a little out of town.

The chicken feet at The Golden Pond is better than in Hong Kong!

Thanks for the info. I am afraid we missed the post until we got back, we tried one off Broad Street. It was pretty dire; Chung Fung wrappers nice and thick and chewy. We chose it because it was above a good looking bakery, and it turned out the best part of the meal were the baked custard tarts.

That's a shame but are you sure it was off Broad St?  I know not of any Chinese bakery near there let alone a restaurant above it.  Ah well you know for next time.

Sorry, should have read the map, it was Hurst Street, and it was on Ladywell Walk.

That sounds like the China Court restaurant above the strip joint (Legs 11)! Did it look like this? I've not been for a few years because the dim sum wasn't very good back then. News is that it hasn't improved either. Pity you stumbled onto that bakery because the Golden Pond is just opposite the main road. Next time you are in the area you may want to check out the Peach Garden café in the alleyway next to China Court. Excellent roast meats at bargain prices.

That sounds like the China Court restaurant above the strip joint (Legs 11)!  Did it look like this? I've not been for a few years because the dim sum wasn't very good back then.  News is that it hasn't improved either.  Pity you stumbled onto that bakery because the Golden Pond is just opposite the main road.  Next time you are in the area you may want to check out the Peach Garden café in the alleyway next  to China Court.  Excellent roast meats at bargain prices.

Yep that is the one. One of the other reasons we thought it would be OK was how well lit it was, many of the other restaurants were quite gloomy. After living in HK we good Cantonese restaurants would have very bright lighting to show off the quality of the food, the dark ones had something to hide. Looks like the rule doesn't transfer.

What's even worse is that the bakery it's above isn't even that good - The bakery in The Arcadian (opposite China Court and also where Golden Pond is on the upper level) has far better chinese egg custard tarts (IMHO, of course).