• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you're a cook when........?

brandonscott

any of you that have ever worked in a professional kitchen know that there is a certain lingo used by cooks to communicate. Some are universal...and some might be specific to a particular kitchen. For example, shouting "fire" when an order needs to be cooked. At my current job, "two yardbirds", means two roasted chickens. Almost every kitchen I have ever worke at uses "behind" to let somebody know you are passing behind them, so that they will not turn just as you pass. This is very important..In the cramped space of a fasted paced kitchen, the last thing you want is somebody turning into you with a pot of boiling water or a knife. I must yell "behind" at least 50 times a night.

So, before I get to far off subject, there are just some things engrained into your head after working in this industry for a little while. The other night I was walking through a department store looking for a father's day card. When I came to the card aisle, it was packed with last minute shoppers doing the same as I. Trying to inch my way down the crowded aisle, I accidently shouted "behind", subconsciously thinking people would jump out of the way. They didn't...they just stared as if there was something wrong with me. It made me think of that old joke, "you might be a redneck if"....but instead of redneck, "you know your a cook when...you shout "behind" at total strangers in public as you pass behind them".

What about you? What is your "You know you're a cook when......." It can be anything. For example "You know you're a cook when you catch yourself sticking an instant read thermometer in your pocket to go on a date". Just things we do out of habit and kind of laugh about later.

I accidently shouted "behind", subconsciously thinking people would jump out of the way.  They didn't...

Huge pet peeve of mine that happens all the time. Why would you expect people to move if you shout behind? I'm not even talking about laymen I'm talking about when you are at work. Saying behind means "don't move because I'm behind you" not "move out of my way." When I say behind it's specifically meant for someone to know I am behind them and not to move cause they will run into me.

It really irks me to no end when people say behind who want me to move. I would much prefer "reaching" "coming down" "excuse me" etc.

I've had co-worker who do that all the time, even to the point that they say "behind" when they are in front of me to get me to move.

I like the idea for a post though.

I've caught myself doing all sorts of stuff. Cooking thanksgiving dinner (or many other meals) with my family and saying things like "fire the mashed potatoes" or "pop the dressing." I've even set up a "station" at home before...bain marie with spoons, damp wiping towel, etc. Got some weird looks but by god, I need my spoons.

any of you that have ever worked in a professional kitchen know that there is a certain lingo used by cooks to communicate.  Some are universal...and some might be specific to a particular kitchen. For example, shouting "fire" when an order needs to be cooked.  At my current job, "two yardbirds", means two roasted chickens.  Almost every kitchen I have ever worke at uses "behind" to let somebody know you are passing behind them, so that they will not turn just as you pass.  This is very important..In the cramped space of a fasted paced kitchen, the last thing you want is somebody turning into you with a pot of boiling water or a knife.  I must yell "behind" at least 50 times a night.

So, before I get to far off subject, there are just some things engrained into your head after working in this industry for a little while.  The other night I was walking through a department store looking for a father's day card.  When I came to the card aisle, it was packed with last minute shoppers doing the same as I.  Trying to inch my way down the crowded aisle, I accidently shouted "behind", subconsciously thinking people would jump out of the way.  They didn't...they just stared as if there was something wrong with me.  It made me think of that old joke, "you might be a redneck if"....but instead of redneck, "you know your a cook when...you shout "behind" at total strangers in public as you pass behind them".

What about you?  What is your "You know you're a cook when......."  It can be anything.  For example "You know you're a cook when you catch yourself sticking an instant read thermometer in your pocket to go on a date".  Just things we do out of habit and kind of laugh about later.

Occasionally I catch myself tasting my wife's soup with my finger.

I accidently shouted "behind", subconsciously thinking people would jump out of the way.  They didn't...

Huge pet peeve of mine that happens all the time. Why would you expect people to move if you shout behind? I'm not even talking about laymen I'm talking about when you are at work. Saying behind means "don't move because I'm behind you" not "move out of my way." When I say behind it's specifically meant for someone to know I am behind them and not to move cause they will run into me.

It really irks me to no end when people say behind who want me to move. I would much prefer "reaching" "coming down" "excuse me" etc.

I hear you, Qwerty. But what really pisses me off is the one's who don't say 'behind' at all. I work with a younger guy at work who I'm always running into. It's like the guy doesn't have a tongue! Oh, he can speak, but he has no kitchen-sense at all. If a guy is hip deep in tickets and just churnin-n-burnin' you can't just stroll thru his area like you're taking a walk in the park.

Btw, the annoying kitchen habit I slip into outside of work is yelling "HEARD!" when people say something. Like I'll be driving and the passenger will say, "This is my street" and I'll be, "This is your street, HEARD!" :wub:

"86'd" as in, honey we're 86 milk, I'm going to the store to buy some.

Also, parcooking. I have a hard time with starch and veg at home because of the years spent cooking everything 80%. My wife teases me now, but for the longest time she couldn't figure out why my veggies and potatoes were just not quite done.

When cooking at home, all my mise is done in advance and set out on little plates, bowls, etc.

Good think we are getting a dishwasher soon!

-- Matt.

I am always angry when I need a pen outside of work. I reach up to my left shoulder and there's no pen, no sharpie, no thermometer, no anything! I curse myself for not showing up to life prepared.

I'm just going to wear a jacket on my days off too.

I also get wierded out making dinner at home. I'm expecting to make 50-60 of something, not 4.

When cooking at home, all my mise is done in advance and set out on little plates, bowls, etc.

Good think we are getting a dishwasher soon!

-- Matt.

Same here, and half the time I get the look like I'm half crazy. But man I just don't know how I could do without my mise before cooking dinner.

I sream at my kids when they don't eat all of their food and then throw stuff if they don't bring their plate back to the sink, I fire my roomate consantly for leaving stuff out, or not labeling things in the fridge, if my date is late comming over for dinner, I cancel her reservation. I walk around in my chef clothes on my day off....

Seriously, no one cares outside of the restaurant.

I am always angry when I need a pen outside of work.  I reach up to my left shoulder and there's no pen, no sharpie, no thermometer, no anything!  I curse myself for not showing up to life prepared. 

I'm just going to wear a jacket on my days off too.

You could get pockets sewn onto all your shirt sleeves. :smile:

I am using just any towel hanging about to wipe my hands, then trowing it over my shoulder, anticipating to use it again (and using it) versus rinsing or washing hands. Wife screams, 'This towel is icky!'

Peter

PeterBWolf - that would be me too. My hubby would use the towels over and over again and by the time I get to them I would go "This towel is icky!!!!"

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I've had co-worker who do that all the time, even to the point that they say "behind" when they are in front of me to get me to move.

I like the idea for a post though.

I've caught myself doing all sorts of stuff. Cooking thanksgiving dinner (or many other meals) with my family and saying things like "fire the mashed potatoes" or "pop the dressing." I've even set up a "station" at home before...bain marie with spoons, damp wiping towel, etc. Got some weird looks but by god, I need my spoons.

I get what you are saying...but in the kithen I am in now, if you say "behind", people have to move out of your way. There just isnt room to maneuver around them. I guess I have just grown used to it. If I think back to my last kitchen, it was shouted just to make your presence known- but that was a nice size kithen.

Well, the size of the kitchen shouldn't matter the lingo should be the same. It's not a huge deal, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people get mad at me for not moving out of their way when all they said was behind.

LOL, I also do the "heard" thing. Sometimes I catch myself saying "oui" to people. Most of the time I'm hanging out with other restaurant people, so it doesn't matter.

LOL, I also do the "heard" thing. Sometimes I catch myself saying "oui" to people. Most of the time I'm hanging out with other restaurant people, so it doesn't matter.

What really annoys them is with people I know (eg the cooks I work with most often) I say "Aye"- fine at work but my friends and family find it bizarre! The conversation goes like this:

GF- Rob, can you pick up a bottle of Cab while you're at the store?

Me- A bottle of Cab, Aye! :biggrin:

Edited by Rob Babcock (log)

"All Day"...caught myself saying this today to my mother when asking me to make copies for something

Kitchen lingo can so easily be transported into everyday life. I.e. Calling up your friend coming over to bring: 5 onions all day, quart of milk and an apple, on the fly!

Jim

I can hold a pair of tongs, a slotted spoon and a bar towel in the same hand.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

I use the lingo at home all the time. My roommates (none in the industry) found it strange. The first time I asked "How many beers do we have all-day" before making a last-call run to the store I just got a room full of :blink::huh::unsure: . Now they are all up to speed. I even heard one of them drop a "behind" the other day when he had to squeeze around someone at the dinner table. :biggrin:

I thought of another one as well.

You know you are a cook when...it isn't a 'cut' until it requires stitches.

My dad told me he cut himself when he was prepping a salad the other day. I looked at it and said "No, You just nicked yourself." :rolleyes:

Edited by Smitty (log)

How about this one..I am a hairdresser and I have taught my co-workers to say "in the weeds" when they are behind.

I like it.

Cook's jargon shall inherit the earth! :biggrin:

makes me feel like I am doing what I love while I love what I do.

Corn starch is not just for slurry...

Edited by chefdg (log)

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

picking up something and smelling it to see if its good

today our linens guy brought us some new towels for the windows and both of the chefs in my kitchen picked it up and smelled it out of habit

i laughed and thought of this post

You know you're a cook when you own a $600 knife and drive a $2000 car....

My initial flavor test was the classic, bacon-lettuce-and-tomato sandwich. Homemade bread, homemade mayonnaise, homegrown tomato (from a neighbor), homemade bacon. The only thing that wasn't locally grown was the lettuce. It was the best sandwich I've ever had!

Naturally, my expectations were high so I had a bottle of wine to meet that expectation: 1976 Lafitte Rothschild. Mmmmmmm.....

Really Nice Aug 10 2003, 11:22 PM