• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

grass-fed beef at Noble

brescd01

My wife and I tried Noble Wednesday night. We liked the vibe and the service very much. For instance, my wife spilled a whole glass of ice water and the staff quickly made it a memory by moving us to the next table. The whole staff really tried to give good service throughout the meal, in fact.

The food was tasty, a bit precious for my tastes, but tasty, and there was something about the place that was warm and relaxing, the service, the crowd, I am not sure, but my wife and I thought the bar would be a great place to return to.

I had the grass-fed rib eye and I thought this was very interesting for several reasons. First, I am not knowledgeable enough to make definitive statements, but this is the first time I have eaten in a restaurant in the USA that advertized its beef as "grass-fed." Second, I really, really enjoy grass-fed beef. I did not find the meat so flavorful (though it was extremely tender) compared to the beef I ate in Spain (which is exclusively grass-fed), but I had the same "un-sick" feeling after I ate this as I did in Spain when I ate beef there. I cannot be more precise except to say that as wonderful as American marbled beef is, after I eat it, I have this nauseus "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" feeling that I do not get with grass-fed beef, and this is not strictly an issue of portions.

The restaurant was pricey, I do not eat in any sort of formula but our meal was $69 dollars/person with tip. Nevertheless, my wife and I will probably return to the bar for the warm service and vibe (classy not pretentious).

My wife and I tried Noble Wednesday night. . . .

I had the grass-fed rib eye and I thought this was very interesting for several reasons. First, I am not knowledgeable enough to make definitive statements, but this is the first time I have eaten in a restaurant in the USA that advertized its beef as "grass-fed." Second, I really, really enjoy grass-fed beef. I did not find the meat so flavorful (though it was extremely tender) compared to the beef I ate in Spain (which is exclusively grass-fed), but I had the same "un-sick" feeling after I ate this as I did in Spain when I ate beef there. I cannot be more precise except to say that as wonderful as American marbled beef is, after I eat it, I have this nauseus "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" feeling that I do not get with grass-fed beef, and this is not strictly an issue of portions.

I think there are many local restaurants, like Rx and White Dog Cafe, serving grass-fed beef. You could probably find them in the Philadelphia Buy Fresh/Buy Local Philadelphia Local Food Guide.

Edited by Tom (log)