• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone seen Pop Rocks in Philly?

OK. I realize this seems like a silly question. But for an upcoming feature I need to recreate my own interpretation of the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Part of the drink description is as follows:

Drop in the tooth of an Algolian Suntiger. Watch it dissolve, spreading the fires of the Algolian suns deep into the heart of the drink.

I'm thinking Pop Rocks will achieve this effect. The rest of the drink and its florid fictional description are already working in my brain. But rather than have to mail order Pop Rocks and wait for them to arrive, I'd rather find them somewhere I can just go pick them up, and commence the experimentation process that will create this drink recipe.

So has anyone seen Pop Rocks at a local candy store, novelty shop or grocery in the Philly area recently? Just let me know. I probably won't have time to go pick them up for a week or so, but just knowing where they are would save a lot of time when I start gearing up to get this recipe worked out.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks! Any particular Dollar Tree store or have you seen them at more than one?

Seems Walgreen's has them online. Perhaps one of the local stores will have them as well...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Thank you Catew!! As I said, not having to hunt these down when I'm ready to purchase will be a time saving bonus. I've already got the drink recipe more or less worked out in my head, but when I have time in a week to actually sit around and play with it until I get it right is when I'll need to have all my ingredients readily available.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!