• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stupid things we can't stop doing

Fat Guy

I'll start. Despite the oft-repeated admonition in books (probably including ones I've written), articles and on websites always to call ahead before going to a restaurant, I often don't. I'm not talking about making reservations. I'm talking about just calling to make sure a restaurant that you found listed somewhere is still in business, still open when you want to go and hasn't moved to a new location.

Take for example the restaurant Tong, near Union Square in Manhattan. Fully functioning website. A live listing on Citysearch. But the place is not there, as my family found out while standing in the rain in front of the establishment's former address. The phone number: disconnected. Should have called ahead. Woops.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Happened to me Wednesday night, kind of. Instead of calling, I just assumed that the local dining establishments would be staying open until their posted closing times, and when I went to two separate places that had closed over half an hour early, then and *only* then did I start calling other restaurants to see if they were still open or if their kitchens were still live.

You guessed it: I ended up with pretty crappy chain pizza.

Why don't I bother using the phone? It's not like it costs me anything to do so...

Maybe this is just me, but when going back to a restaurant I've been to previously (or even a new one) I would just just leave and start my journey without double checking the address, just in case. This bad habit creates perhaps a 1 out of 3 chance that I would totally mess it up and have to call for help.

Jim

I am compulsively early. My husband is compulsively late. Oddly enough, we do not cancel each other out. We just randomly trade off. It's so freaking frustrating.

And I can't stop saying "Thank you" any time a service person does something. Anything. Once is probably enough. I tip awesomely, so it's a nice big "thank you" for real at the end.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”