• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Having for US Independence Day?

We're grilling with friends this afternoon. I'm bringing apple pie, (of course!) roasted sweet potatoes with a cilantro lime vinaigrette, and lamb leg slices marinated in yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, etc.

Too bad it's pouring with rain. :(

I wonder how apple pie became a July 4th staple, given that apple season is in the fall. You'd think cherry pie would be the thing around now.

We're just starting our faux Korean BBQ experiment. The meat has been marinating overnight, we're making cold sesame noodles and rice, I just washed the lettuce leaves . . . things are coming along.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Happy 4th everyone.

Going traditional today. Having another couple over for dinner tonight. I have a whole chicken cut up which was brined and a pack of thighs that I boned out and just rubbed with a dry rub.. A slab of spare ribs just came out of the smoker. I did the 3-2-1 method. 3 hrs uncovered in the smoker, 2 hrs in a foil pan covered in the smoker, then 1 hr uncovered to firm up the crust. The chicken is smoking now. I will grill the lightly smoked cut up chicken pieces and add sauce and pull the boneless thighs for BBQ smoked chicken.

I am also making smoke baked beans

1 can Bush baked beans

3 slices of bacon cut into 1/2 inch strips and browned

1/2 onion, 1/2 a bell pepper, 1/2 a jalapeno diced

1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 a cup catsup, 1 tsp cider vinegar and a dash of yellow mustard

1/2 a can of chunked pineapple.

This is all mixed together and in the smoker. I will take the skirt meat from the ribs and dice it up and add it to the beans.

Coleslaw

corn on the cob

app is guacamole and pita chips

Fruit for dessert. Watermelon and blueberries.

I'm expecting left overs!

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

Everyone's meals sound so freaking good :wub:

Fatguy (it weirds me out everytime I call you that :biggrin: ) I have long wondered the same thing. Cherry pie seems far more in season that apple pie. Plus, I like cherry pie better!

We just got home from a day at the horse track!!! It was a blast and I felt very 4th of July-ish being there.

Yesterday we smoked pork ribs, so now they are in the oven warming with some bbq sauce over them. Along with those we'll have cole slaw, macaroni and cheese, cheese stuffed roasted peppers, maters from the garden and wine! Afterwards we're having strawberries and champagne as we watch multiple towns fireworks in chairs on the driveway---one of the perks of living waaaaaaay out in the country in the flat lands of Kansas--you can see for miles :wub:

Yesterday's party food ended up starting with

Salami and pepperoni with crackers, Artichoke dip, and Hummus.

Then moving over to the foil chafers we had Lemon chicken, Grilled chicken, Baked ziti, Eggplant parm, Sausage and peppers, Mac n cheese, my Baked beans with pulled pork, Macaroni salad, Broccoli Salad and Tomato salad....Hot dogs were offered but no takers till a few hours later...

I was confused, did my grandmother make this party or what?

Oh yeah finished Pina Colada pie from Sandra Lee

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Fatguy (it weirds me out everytime I call you that  :biggrin: ) I have long wondered the same thing.  Cherry pie seems far more in season that apple pie.  Plus, I like cherry pie better!

unfortunately here in nw nj most of the cherries got wiped out with a late spring freeze.

sent johnnybird up to poughkeepsie for a three family get together with figs stuffed with blue chesse then draped with prosciutto and a pan of these

gallery_403_6649_65347.jpg

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

A two-day grilling extravaganza here on my little hillside overlooking the lake. Yesterday, the Fourth, was burgers, brats, grilled Italian sausage, grilled corn on the cob (fresh corn!), and barbecued bologna. With baked beans, potato salad, cole slaw, roasted sweet potato wedges with paprika and cayenne.

Today is pernil (Puerto Rican roast pork) on the grill, accompanied by Caribbean "Sunday beans," leftover potato salad and cole slaw, and roasted new potatos, with a ricotta cheesecake with red-white-and-blue fruit salsa (that would be strawberries, blueberries, bananas and coconut). All the above accompanied by watermelon mojitos.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We had a pig in a China box, (blah) beans, potato salad, etc. I was whinged at for not bringing my mac salad, but substituted ambrosia instead. You can't please them all.... :wub::huh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

We had a pig in a China box, (blah) beans, potato salad, etc. I was whinged at for not bringing my mac salad, but substituted ambrosia instead. You can't please them all.... :wub:  :huh:

Well I could have parties just with the pig- was it well done? I have never had a China box cooked one.

...and barbecued bologna. ...

OK. I give. This is the second reference in 24 hours to barbecued bologna. I'm intrigued (to say the least......). I've never heard of such a thing, but fried bologna sandwiches are pretty darned wonderful.

Do you just take a roll of, I'm assuming Kosher bologna like Hebrew National, and toss it on the grill? Do you baste it with oil? BBQ sauce?

I think I need some of this, and soon. Details, I need details.....

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

We had a pig in a China box, (blah) beans, potato salad, etc. I was whinged at for not bringing my mac salad, but substituted ambrosia instead. You can't please them all.... :wub:  :huh:

Well I could have parties just with the pig- was it well done? I have never had a China box cooked one.

It was well cooked, but underseasoned; that 's why the 'blah' statement, and a bit tough. Prefer butts, myself.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Friend came by Friday with fresh caught cod so I wrapped it in prosciutto and poached it in butter - served with fresh local peas (salmon next year).

Saturday saw baby back ribs with the latest rub experiment, fennel/carrot slaw, potato salad and boston backed beans - lots of T&T's and beer and ice cream

Sunday's menu was an endless parade of mini lobster rolls, vichyssoise with sorrel, salad extravaganza, watermelon and more T&Ts and beer.

Why does it have to end today? :angry:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com