• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting Vancouver: Where to Dine? (merged)

sadistick

I will be in BC in early July on business for 1 night - staying at the Granville Island Hotel -

I wont have a car, but would love some suggestions for lunch and dinner (sushi being preferable for one meal, as TO's sushi sucks and I was spoiled in BC last time!) and within walking distance (I dont mind a 20 minute hike) would be great.

Many thanks -

SS

I will be in BC in early July on business for 1 night - staying at the Granville Island Hotel -

I wont have a car, but would love some suggestions for lunch and dinner (sushi being preferable for one meal, as TO's sushi sucks and I was spoiled in BC last time!) and within walking distance (I dont mind a 20 minute hike) would be great.

Many thanks -

SS

Kingyo Izakaya

Welcome back!

The world-famous West is on Granville Street, but it is a bit far to walk all the way -- so, you probably would want to just hike your way to the first bus stop on Granville and then take a Granville bus (route 10 probably) to get there and back.

If you prefer more exotic flavours, there is also Vij's in the same Granville area.

Downtown core is just a aqua-taxi ride away from Granville Island. Once you get off the boat, a good walk away is Okada Sushi, one of the few sushiyas still run by real Japanese chefs. Although by no means the best in Vancouver, it should be decent enough for you -- as it is for many Japanese expatriats.

Please take a look at these and let us know if you need more suggestions. Enjoy!

I haven't been yet myself, but you might want to check out Maenam, the newer, Thai-er incarnation of Gastropod. (Also on Opentable.) Chef Angus An worked under icon David Thompson and supposedly brings a lot of that to us in Vancouver.

Coincidentally, Alex Gill reviewed Maenam in today's Globe .

If you want to try something differnt in the way of sushi - perhaps give Miku a visit? Their first branch in North America. They char their sushi with blow torches before serving them. The results are mixed - I think - but it is a well run room with very friendly service, though it may be a little out of the way for you.

Bluewater in Yaletown has a great Raw Bar with truly excellent sushi - I think one of the best in the city.

Quite near you, there's a very informal lunch spot called:

Go Fish Ocean Emporium

1505 1st Avenue West

Vancouver, BC V6J 1E8, Canada

(604) 730-5040

Here you will find Po-boys, Fish Tacos and Fish & Chips all made with impeccably fresh seafood. You wait in line to order, then grab a table on the patio. Lines can be long, so go before noon if possible.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Coincidentally, Alex Gill reviewed Maenam in today's Globe .

Perhaps I am too much of a purist and I definitely ought not to post it in this thread, but my visit to Maenam was less than impressive. If anyone knows of a good, authentic Thai place in the area, I am all ears...

Incidentally, if a real sushi-connoisseur pays a visit to Blue Water's raw bar, the sushi chef Yoshihiro Tabo will be very happy. Frankly, he's too good a sushi chef to be making innocuous makis and slicing run-of-the-mill tuna most of the day. I remember well his artistry and creativity at Yoshi and Shijo.

Nondual, do you have any Thai recommendations (in the area or not)?

Maenam has been getting a lot of good "press," the official kind and the online kind. Having said that, there have been a small number of less-than-impressed opinions, yours is not the first. Again, I haven't been yet so I don't have an opinion - only high hopes.

Many thanks for all the replies thus far -

I remember we went to Go Fish the last time we were in BC, loved it - may have to go there for lunch!

I am also considering going back to Vij's, as it is within walking distance, and I really enjoyed it last time...

Are there no good sushi places within walking distance of G.I. Hotel though?

Yaletown really is just a short hop from GI - the shortest cab ride ever or water taxi excursion.

Bluewater raw bar really is exemplary - and Nondual1 is right - if you want, Chef Tabo can really take it up a level. The raw bar is part of the Bluewater restaurant - but you can pull yourself up a seat at the sushi bar and really settle in for some great sushi and sashimi.

Yaletown really is just a short hop from GI - the shortest cab ride ever or water taxi excursion.

Bluewater raw bar really is exemplary - and Nondual1 is right - if you want, Chef Tabo can really take it up a level.  The raw bar is part of the Bluewater restaurant - but you can pull yourself up a seat at the sushi bar and really settle in for some great sushi and sashimi.

You may have just sold me - so from the hotel, how long would it take for the water taxi, then the hike to Bluewater? Are reservations necessary (I would most likely sit at the bar, as I will be alone)?

But then this means I miss Vij's! Are either of them open for lunch?

Edit - I forgot to mention, we went to Okada last time and LOVED it - but that seems like quite the journey from G.I.

Edited by sadistick (log)

Bluewater raw bar really is exemplary - and Nondual1 is right - if you want, Chef Tabo can really take it up a level.  The raw bar is part of the Bluewater restaurant - but you can pull yourself up a seat at the sushi bar and really settle in for some great sushi and sashimi.

You may have just sold me - so from the hotel, how long would it take for the water taxi, then the hike to Bluewater? Are reservations necessary (I would most likely sit at the bar, as I will be alone)?

But then this means I miss Vij's! Are either of them open for lunch?

Edit - I forgot to mention, we went to Okada last time and LOVED it - but that seems like quite the journey from G.I.

Bluewater's raw bar has some of the best sushi in town.

Octopus' Garden is also very good - the offerings are on the more modern end of the sushi spectrum. Their omakase is quite good and varied. It is a short hike from GI as well.

Both places are a tad on the pricey side, but well worth it.

Rangoli (which is a sort of a "Vij's Express") is open for lunch.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

You may have just sold me - so from the hotel, how long would it take for the water taxi, then the hike to Bluewater?  Are reservations necessary (I would most likely sit at the bar, as I will be alone)?

The schedule from Granville Island Ferries is here. You can also get the pricing. I think it is $4 to go to Yaletown. It should not be a trip of more than 10 minutes, tops.

Bluewater Cafe website.

Map to Bluewater. Basically you would walk up Davie St from the ferry terminal and then turn right on Hamilton. It is on the next block. Another 10 minute walk, tops.

But I would check to see how late the ferries run. Reservations recommended.

The price difference between say, Bluewater and Okada is quite shocking (almost double for say, Tuna and Salmon Nigiri)...is it THAT much better?

I remember our meal at Okada was fantastic...maybe I will have to make another visit (although it looks like quite the hike from the water taxi)...

Both Okada and Bluewater are quite good - but in different ways. I am a big fan of Okada's easy going vibe - lots of Japanese people go there - and their dinner fresh sheet is exemplary (lunch should be avoided in my opinion). The cooked dinner items at Okada often feature great local ingredients. Beyond that - I love the restaurant's setting - up and above the street - quiet and calm.

The freshness at Bluewater really sparkles though - the sushi and sashimi has a glistening brightness that is pretty awesome. Plus the buzz and engergy of the room is at a different level.

So - is it worth the extra $$'s? I am not sure what to say. If you decide to stick with Okada - I don't think that's a bad decision.

I completely agree with you regarding the vibe at Okada - it was really relaxed, the chef was enjoying beer and wine with some of the people at the sushi bar, which was really enjoyable to see - and that Raw Red Tuna Garlic App was absolutely awesome!

It does look like quite the hike (how long would you guesstimate it is from the water taxi drop off point?)

Either way, one of those will be dinner - and I am pretty sure both will be quite pleasing.

Does Go Fish serve lunch on a weekday? Hope to grab some local fresh seafood there, absolutely loved it last time...i think we had the fish n chips and the scallop 'burger'.

Are Spot Prawns going to still be around first week July / Do they serve them there?

Cheers

Edited by sadistick (log)

Does Go Fish serve lunch on a weekday?  Hope to grab some local fresh seafood there, absolutely loved it last time...i think we had the fish n chips and the scallop 'burger'.

Are Spot Prawns going to still be around first week July / Do they serve them there?

Cheers

I am pretty sure that Go Fish serves lunch on weekdays. Spotted prawns may still be in season in early July. I think a nice way to have it is at a Chinese restaurant - stir fried with seafood soy.

Does Go Fish serve lunch on a weekday?  Hope to grab some local fresh seafood there, absolutely loved it last time...i think we had the fish n chips and the scallop 'burger'.

Cheers

I am pretty sure that Go Fish serves lunch on weekdays. Spotted prawns may still be in season in early July. I think a nice way to have it is at a Chinese restaurant - stir fried with seafood soy.

They are open from just before noon till around 6:30, except Mondays when they are closed.

If spot prawns are still coming off the boats they will have them as a special item.

Don't want to complicate your life, but if you have the patience to catch a cab, the real choice in Kits, next to Maenam, is Fuel. Probably the top restaurant in the City right now -- and if you do, don't miss the pork belly, which is one of their specialties.

Are there no good sushi places within walking distance of G.I. Hotel though?

I have heard that Octopus Garden is supposedly decent.

I'd also recommend Octopus Garden. Consider taking the aquabus across to Yaletown for more dining options. I'd recommend RTL Regional Tasting Lounge.

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

All -- I need your assistance with dining recommendations!

My girlfriend and I will be in Vancouver for 9 Days. I will be eating out every meal (except breakfast, since I usually sleep fairly late when on vacation). I am very interested in hearing everyone's top 5 or 10 places to go to in Vancouver. There are really no boundaries in terms of type of food -- i like everything. I tend to gravitate towards interesting ethnic restaurants (of any type), or market-oriented restaurants with frequently changing menus. However, I am up for anything.

Chances are that I will only pick one place that is very expensive (i.e. $100 or more per person), will pick 2 or 3 places that are moderately expensive (i.e., $60 per person), and will pick 3 or 4 that are more reasonable (under $50 per person).

Thanks so much for your help. I'll keep you posted on what we decide, and how it turns out!

All -- I need your assistance with dining recommendations!

My girlfriend and I will be in Vancouver for 9 Days.  I will be eating out every meal (except breakfast, since I usually sleep fairly late when on vacation).  I am very interested in hearing everyone's top 5 or 10 places to go to in Vancouver.  There are really no boundaries in terms of type of food -- i like everything.  I tend to gravitate towards interesting ethnic restaurants (of any type), or market-oriented restaurants with frequently changing menus.  However, I am up for anything.

Chances are that I will only pick one place that is very expensive (i.e. $100 or more per person), will pick 2 or 3 places that are moderately expensive (i.e., $60 per person), and will pick 3 or 4 that are more reasonable (under $50 per person). 

Thanks so much for your help.  I'll keep you posted on what we decide, and how it turns out!

List of possible higher end/"splurge" restos (not exhaustive, some I've tried, others gleaned from reliable food enjoyers):

Bishop's

Parkside

West

Blue Water

C

Boneta

Tojo's

Five Sails

Fuel

Gastropod

Conor Butler

Le Crocodile

Voya

Lumiere/DB Bistro Moderne

Lime

Octopus' Garden

Cioppino's

Gotham

Joe Fortes

Bacchus

Chambar

Cioppino's

Rodney's

Vij's

Fuel

Morton's (for a double porterhouse and football sized potato)

West

Il Giardino

Cobre

'Burbs:

Pear Tree (Burnaby)

Pearl on the Rock (White Rock)

Val D'Isere, Bearfoot Bistro (Whistler)

La Buca or L'Altro Buca (family style 6+ course chef's menu)

Cheap'n'cheerfuls:

Peaceful Noodle

Legendary Noodle (the one on Main)

Phnom Penh

Guu with Garlic (can be spendy if you like to imbibe)

Nuba Cafe (the one on Seymour, didn't love the new one on Hastings)

Go Fish

Argo for great lunch specials or solid diner regulars

Deli Nippon for chicken based ramen and tasty okonomiyaki

myriad bahn mi, pho and bun places on Kingsway

dimsum in Richmond if you have a car

Alvin Garden for Hunan in Burnaby if you have a car

That's enough for now. Happy to provide specifics if you are interested in any of these. Have fun with your planning!