• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edisto Island, SC

tarheelfaithful

Hooray, the Old Post Office Restaurant on Edisto Island has re-opened and Philip Barden is the chef! The Veal Edistonian (topped with just caught shrimp and mousseline sauce) is the best. The Shrimp and Grits has been named one of the best 100 dishes in the US. Edisto is the best beach (no fast food, no redlights) and the Old Post Office matches up with any restaurant in the low country.

• 1 month later...

Any word on whether they have a liquor license yet?

My folks (edisto homeowners and regular "summer folk" since the 1950s) went in June and reported back to me in what could politely be called "faint praise." I went to The Old Post Office a couple times a year every year since I was... er. very young, and I was disheartened to see it go. I'm anxious about its new incarnation.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.