• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Red Currants

amccomb

I have a list of desserts and jams I would like to make containing red currants, but I have been unable to find fresh red currants locally. Does anyone know where I could order fresh or frozen red currants? I've Googled, but found nothing.

You might be able to find a local farmer/farmer's market selling currants through one of the directory web sites, like Local Harvest.

Local Harvest

I tried a different search engine (bing) and found a few references for wholesale suppliers of frozen currants who might be able to refer you to a local grocery chain or several vendors selling online (retail) red currant puree.

Red currants are one of my favorite foods but sadly not very popular in the US.

Its also worth a shot to try calling a local bakery if one of their suppliers can get for you.

Edited by Opty (log)

I'd say that the local farmer's markets are your best bet. They're in season now and available at West Coast farmer's markets so I assume that other parts of the country must be close depending on the weather.