• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Free-range pigs: not so free

Fat Guy

A friend of mine who raised Berkshires used to tell customers at the farmer's market, "Television is what people do if they don't have pigs to watch."

His hogs played freely in their field and rooted to their heart's content. One would occasionally test the limits and get out, but because of the geography of his farm (on a peninsula, sticking out into the river) there wasn't really anywhere they could go cause mischief. They and the sheep eyeballed each other with mutual mistrust from their respective sides of the dividing fence, and amusing encounters between them often became fodder for next market day's customer chit-chat. 

I used a lot of his pork. He also sold home-rendered lard, which labeled as "happy fat." He was clear when talking to his customers that it was lard, but he at least got the chance to talk to them and explain its virtues as a culinary fat whereas if the label had said "lard," they'd just have kept walking. 

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

9 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I have to say I have never heard of spaying a pig

Yeah, not agricultural pigs—but pet pigs are often spayed to prevent the spread of congenital defects to offspring or to, supposedly, reduce the risk of some cancers.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

labeled as "happy fat."

Love it! xD

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!