• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon substitute?

Danne

My friend is moving out to his summer home, I would like to give him an bottled cocktail.

He loves sour drinks so I'm trying to make some sort och gin-raspberry-lemon cocktail.

I would like to use fresh lemonjuice but it wont be shelf stabled. Any ideas of what I can use instead. What is the sour ingrediens in those lemon mix pulvers?

Ideas?

My friend is moving out to his summer home, I would like to give him an bottled cocktail.

He loves sour drinks so I'm trying to make some sort och gin-raspberry-lemon cocktail.

I would like to use fresh lemonjuice but it wont be shelf stabled. Any ideas of what I can use instead. What is the sour ingrediens in those lemon mix pulvers?

Ideas?

add citric or malic acid to a super fruity dry vermouth like gallo until it is as tart as a lemon.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Maybe buy your friend a hand juicer, a fine gin, and give some instructions. If he's got the pleasure of a summer house then all the more reason to enjoy fresh juice and this season's berries. If your friend lacks the skill, patience or interest, have him invite you out for the weekend, and/or send him off with some cold beer. There's just no substitute for fresh juice.