• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Demetri's Pizzeria

KatieLoeb

(HOST'S NOTE: As noted in the comments below, the intersection is 45th & Chestnut, rather than Spruce)

Intrigued by the recent praise in Melissa Dribben's Inquirer article, Southjerseyepicurean and I decided to brave the wilds of West Philly (or Spruce Hill if you keep up with the latest real estate jargon) to check the place out for dinner this evening. 45th & Spruce is an odd crossroads - partially beginning to gentrify and part ghetto mess. But the corner restaurant is bright and cheerful both inside and out. And the Maroulis family couldn't be nicer or more welcoming.

We tried the Med Spreads - hummous, eggplant caviar (aka baba ghanoush), and tzatziki with grilled pita as well as the keftedes, meatballs with a brightly flavored tomato sauce to start out. Both were quite delicious. In fact, the eggplant spread might have been one of the best versions I've tried. Our entrees came with either soup or salad - I opted to try the creamy potato soup and it was very comforting. Not too rich, with the surprise of some chunky potatoes at the bottom. Baked lamb turned out to be a long braised lamb shank in a richly flavored tomato sauce. I opted for the flank steak special, cooked mid-rare as I'd requested and a side of sauteed veggies were cheerfully substituted for the Parmesan fries that were to accompany. (I know. Don't even say it. But I'm trying so hard to be good!) We were also treated to a surprise dish of spanikopita and tiropitas "just to try". Everything was extremely well prepared and clearly made with care and an eye to authenticity. The cost for this gargantuan feast? $58 before a tip! Prices are quite reasonable for the caliber of preparation and the size of the portions. I've still got some steak and veggies to munch on before heading in to work tomorrow night. And did I mention it's BYO?? Always a plus...

Had a nice chat about the difficulties of running a restaurant and trying to please everyone. It seems the ten page menu has recently been trimmed to just half that. Jasmine, our server and daughter-in-law of Chef Dimitri was very pleasant, and happy to explain all the dishes to us. Her husband Michail came out to chat with us after dinner. These are really nice folks that are trying to bring a bit of their home culture to the masses. And I'm all for helping the little guy make a go of it. For a city the size of Philadelphia, it's a sin that there aren't Greek restaurants of the same caliber that you get in New York or Chicago. There's a lot of just passable stuff (Effie's, South Street Souvlaki, etc.) but nothing that really knocks it out of the park. While Demetri's might not be on the same white tablecloth fine dining level as Molyvos in Manhattan, it's still going to keep me from starving for good Greek food in between the festivals at St. George's on 8th Street and Annunciation Orthodox church Elkins Park.

I left Jasmine with my email address for their mailing list. And I already received my fist email specials list tonight! Extra points for vigilance and follow through.

Here are tomorrow's specials:

MONDAY:

MAC-N-CHEESE (Gnocchi with Asiago)

FLATBREAD (Pesto, plum tomatoes,roasted peppers, fresh mozzarella & spinach)

LUNCH:

PIZZA STEAK & FRIES

NY STRIP SALAD (Spring greens, roasted peppers, goat cheese & walnuts)

CORNED BEEF SPECIAL(swiss cheese, coleslaw,russian dressing on rye bread)

DINNER:

MOUSSAKA (roasted eggplants, potatoes, ground beef & bechamel)

SAUTEED SALMON (3 cheese tortellini in rose sauce)

In our conversation, it came up that they are no longer serving breakfast. They're now opening at 11AM to start their 80+ hour work week. If I lived closer I'd certainly order lunch there, but I suspect I'll be having dinner again in the near future. Those of you that live or work nearby should give it a go and report back. After years of watching many restaurateurs succeed in spite of themselves, I'd be delighted to see hard work and genuine passion for the craft win out...

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I was trying to picture this place but couldn't visualize it on the corner Katie mentioned, and then I remembered that I'd driven by it - it's at 45th and Chestnut not on Spruce (that's Rx!) And yes, it's a somewhat marginal block right now, but let's hope that a nice restaurant can help swing the momentum. And it's always good to hear about another source for Greek food.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

D'oh! Chestnut! Quite right. That's what I meant. Too busy thinking about the ridiculosity of calling that neighborhood SPRUCE Hill.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol