• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foie Gras Protests in Portland

Last night Le Pigeon was the first to get hit, protesters stood outside pounding on the windows until the police came. Then they moved on to Sel Gris. the police once again were called as they were blocking the entry way and the public sidewalk. they stood around for about an hour screaming at the top of their lungs before disbanding... neither business has any plans of removing foie from the menu!

Last night Le Pigeon was the first to get hit, protesters stood outside pounding on the windows until the police came.  Then they moved on to Sel Gris.  the police once again were called as they were blocking the entry way and the public sidewalk.  they stood around for about an hour screaming at the top of their lungs before disbanding... neither business has any plans of removing foie from the menu!

Heh, I wonder if they're going to hit Carlyle..I just got done doing my externship - and as a "going away" meal, one of the courses was scallop, tourchon of foie with sweet peas, carrots and fava.

All I can say is the natural bounty of Oregon is a perfect match for foie gras, especially this time of year when gooseberries, marionberries, logan berries and so many more sweet berries and fruits are in season.

I suppose it's too much to ask of the protesters to sample a delicious slice of foie gras terrine with some rhubarb compote. It could change their minds on how the fowl are raised.

All I can say is the natural bounty of Oregon is a perfect match for foie gras, especially this time of year when gooseberries, marionberries, logan berries and so many more sweet berries and fruits are in season. 

I suppose it's too much to ask of the protesters to sample a delicious slice of foie gras terrine with some rhubarb compote.  It could change their minds on how the fowl are raised.

Sure is, for a while on his tasting menu Jake was paring foie with Mt. Hood Strawberry's.

I suppose it's too much to ask of the protesters to sample a delicious slice of foie gras terrine with some rhubarb compote.  It could change their minds on how the fowl are raised.

Sure is, for a while on his tasting menu Jake was paring foie with Mt. Hood Strawberry's.

Carlyle was protested last year on valentines day... a night when they had no foie on the menu!

Carlyle was protested last year on valentines day... a night when they had no foie on the menu!

Now that's pretty darn funny! Yeah Foie is on the menu, not to mention when you order the Tartar you get "Foie" Toast. Toast that's been brushed with Foie fat. Really good stuff.

I suppose it's too much to ask of the protesters to sample a delicious slice of foie gras terrine with some rhubarb compote. 

If I was going to waste foie gras on these people, I would probably slap them with it. :angry:

"Unleash the sheep!" mamster

Just returned from a stunning meal at Sel Gris. Chef Mondok and co. are really turning out some wonderful food!

And by the way, Foie protesters, it's pronounced 'sel gree' just so you don't, ya know, look completely silly while you're out there protesting...

There are so many more important issues out there to be upset about... foie gras production really hardly registers in the grand scheme of things.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Just returned from a stunning meal at Sel Gris.  Chef Mondok and co. are really turning out some wonderful food! 

And by the way, Foie protesters, it's pronounced 'sel gree' just so you don't, ya know, look completely silly while you're out there protesting...

There are so many more important issues out there to be upset about... foie gras production really hardly registers in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah but this is Portland, and they seem to need to protest about something - because you know this is such a important issue.

I found this to be very enlightening. Thanks for the link!

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Hearing about the protests has compelled me to go to Sel Gris tonight.

I think they've just started their $35 tasting menu, running through July & August (?), which should be a FANTASTIC value.

I had the Lobster & Tomato Bisque for my app and the Pork Tenderloin (proscuitto wrapped Carlton Farm's pork, Parisienne gnocchi, fava beans, morels, leek puree, rhubarb molasses) for my main. Both were absolutely flawless.

My dining partner had the Duck (roasted duck Magret, Belgian endive, artichoke hearts, English peas, saba, foie gras) which she said was excellent, also.

But really, you can't go wrong with anything on the menu.

Enjoy!

John DePaula
--------------------

Just returned from a stunning meal at Sel Gris.  Chef Mondok and co. are really turning out some wonderful food! 

Yeah but this is Portland, and they seem to need to protest about something - because you know this is such a important issue.

Just because its not important to you, doesnt mean it isnt important to someone else.

Hearing about the protests has compelled me to go to Sel Gris tonight.

I think they've just started their $35 tasting menu, running through July & August (?), which should be a FANTASTIC value.

I had the Lobster & Tomato Bisque for my app and the Pork Tenderloin (proscuitto wrapped Carlton Farm's pork, Parisienne gnocchi, fava beans, morels, leek puree, rhubarb molasses) for my main. Both were absolutely flawless.

My dining partner had the Duck (roasted duck Magret, Belgian endive, artichoke hearts, English peas, saba, foie gras) which she said was excellent, also.

But really, you can't go wrong with anything on the menu.

Enjoy!

Yep, I saw on Twitter that they started the $35 tasting menu last night.

The PETA video was pretty gruesome. But the article and pics about Hudson Valley seemed pretty well informed.

I think that it is interesting that many/most of the protesters in the article (and their leaders) haven't visited Hudson. Perhaps if the only thing that I had to go on was the PETA video, I might have some serious concerns and may stop eating it.

I guess the point I would take from this is to find out where your foie gras is coming from, and to support farmers like Hudson Valley or the guy in Spain who doesn't force feed his geese.

"Unleash the sheep!" mamster

• 3 weeks later...