• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

modern food in NOLA ?

blais

Try MiLa in the Pere Marquette Hotel.

Edited by docsconz (log)

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Chef:

I've had a lovely dinner at August, but if you haven't been, I'd check out Cochon. Perhaps not "modern" by the regular definition, but certainly an interesting and updated take on house made charcuterie. It would be my Death Row meal request for sure.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Residents will know better, but I don't think there are any expressly modern restaurants in New Orleans along the lines of Alinea or even McCrady's.

Having said that, I agree with Doc -- MiLa is where you want to go. My report is here. Modern thinking and execution, if not necessarily an ultra-modern menu.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

From a resident- MiLa or Stella! are your best bets... Neither is going to push your boundaries by being ultra-modern, but they're both interesting combinations of relatively modern technique with southern (MiLa) or classical/asian (Stella!) ideas. New Orleans holds on tight to tradition, so I wouldn't expect to be surprised by technique as much as flavor.

Sorry, missed your time deadline, but I'd have also suggested Green Goddess. No foams or gels, but I think they have a very modern approach, taking inspiration from diverse cuisines while still embracing local ingredients and style.

Where'd you end up going?

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com