• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apricot Tarts and Pies

Chris Hennes

There is a fantastic Apricot & Cherry Tart in Chez Panisse Deserts which I've made many times. I'll post a better description when I get home after work.

Rover

Edited by Rover (log)

As I pulled my Chez Panisse Desserts book from the shelf and noted that is festooned with post-its and bookmarks, I realized just how much I had prepared from it. It continues to remain amongst my favourites for desserts, pies, tarts.

Apricot & Cherry Tart: It's a puff pastry base and filled with the fruit while still chilled. The cherries are pitted and the apricots sliced in half & stoned. Crush some Italian macaroons & sprinkle over the base of the shell and arrange a tight circle of cherries around the perimeter. Place the apricots cut side down, pressed tightly together and fill the shell. Fill any available spaces with more cherries. Sprinkle with a little sugar, depending on taste and sweetness of the fruit.... and bake.

Brush with a glaze after removing from the oven.

It's just quite simply - dreamy.

Rover

I over-poached the apricots. Kerry's recipe is for pears, I think. Apricots take more like 3-4 minutes to poach

I don't think you need to poach the apricots at all, probably not the peaches either unless they're on the hard side

Apricots seem to be a popular choice for galettes. I'm going to try one in the Tartine cookbook.

I've now tried this recipe and I'm really happy with the results. I have a few more to bake off and I'll try to remember to take a pic. They use a frissage-type method for the pastry which makes a terrific crust. Kind of half way between regular pie pastry and puff pastry.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

This post reminded me that there is a recipe I've long wanted to try for an Apricot-Almond-Raspberry Tart in Francois Payard's "Simply Sensational Desserts." It looks delicious.

I love apricots but here in the northeast fresh apricots are both hard to come by and arrive in farmers markets very late in the season--long after fresh raspberries have left. The recipe says that canned apricots are okay, but somehow I can't bring myself to buy canned apricots.

Dave, in step 4 you say "halve and seed" the apricots: do you also slice them? Or you lay concentric circles with the full apricot halves?

Chris,

If you look at Dave's blog, French Food Focus, I believe you'll see a picture of said apricot tart - very pretty, by the way.

Looks like "halved and seeded" but not sliced.

John

Thanks for looking at my blog & as per my post above my apologies for being slow to respond.

As it happens we just came back from dinner at a friends where she served apricot tart. She uses the same method as do I, but she added a glaze made of apricot jam, brandy & a bit of water. She boiled & reduced that a bit then glazed the tart & baked it for 15 minutes more.

The result was terrific! Think I'll try this addition.

As threatened I made an apricot tart the other night and I glazed it.

In this case I used some Four Fruit marmalade that I recently made as a glaze. (the marmalade hadn't set up as firmly as I would have liked, but the slightly runny consistency was about right for a glaze.) I cooked the pie then took it out and gently brushed on the glaze. It was very very nice.

A nice addition to this simple open faced tart.

edited to correct typos

Edited by Dave Hatfield (log)