• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molasses

On 19/10/2016 at 7:36 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Thanks - I know Sobey's is the place I've been able to get the paper cartons much, much cheaper than elsewhere. Always funny when you go through the line with a dozen of them and people think you're baking!

Here you go...

IMG_20161020_210841[1].jpg

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Well, I sated my sorghum appetite last night with an old-fashioned dinner that was at least similar to what I would have had back home in the 1960s and 1970s. Sorghum blended on the plate with room temp butter; a homemade biscuit, bacon, and scrambled eggs. 

I may or may not have gone back for more sorghum and three more biscuits.

sorghum dinner.jpg

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On October 20, 2016 at 8:52 PM, chromedome said:

Here you go...

IMG_20161020_210841[1].jpg

Good price! Wish we got it in those big containers - perhaps I need to look at a commercial place. 

I should think a Sobey's there would be able to order it in for you, even if they don't regularly stock it. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I should think a Sobey's there would be able to order it in for you, even if they don't regularly stock it. 

There's a thought! I'll ask.

13 hours ago, chromedome said:

Our supermarkets will do this. And if you want a whole case of something, they'll often give you a discount on the order of 10%.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2016 at 11:29 AM, chromedome said:

As an Atlantic Canadian, like @Peter the eater, I live in something of a molasses heartland. You know those great big storage tanks you see at oil refineries and suchlike? Here in Saint John, there's one of those full of molasses along the harbour front. Saint John is home to Crosby's, the major Canadian molasses producer. 

I was reminded of @chromedome's mention of molasses storage tanks when I read this story in the NYT:  Solving a Mystery Behind the Deadly ‘Tsunami of Molasses’ of 1919 , about recent student research to understand why the incident was so deadly.

It was January. The place was Boston. And when 2.3 million gallons of molasses burst from a gigantic holding tank in the city’s North End, 21 people were killed and about 150 more were left injured. The wave of syrup — some reports said it was up to 40 feet tall — rushed through the waterfront, destroying buildings, overturning vehicles and pushing a firehouse off its foundation.

Not particularly related to cooking but certainly on-topic for a molasses thread :D!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I was reminded of @chromedome's mention of molasses storage tanks when I read this story in the NYT:  Solving a Mystery Behind the Deadly ‘Tsunami of Molasses’ of 1919 , about recent student research to understand why the incident was so deadly.

Not particularly related to cooking but certainly on-topic for a molasses thread :D!

It is a story that has always horrified me.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Drowning in anything would be an unpleasant way to go, but at least in water you can try to swim. Molasses? Not so much. 

I think there was a great beer flood in London about a hundred years earlier that also did a lot of damage.

There was also a molasses spill in Hawaii just a couple of years ago.  I remember the news did segments on the Boston Molasses flood and the Beer flood.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 10/18/2016 at 2:29 PM, chromedome said:

As an Atlantic Canadian, like @Peter the eater, I live in something of a molasses heartland. You know those great big storage tanks you see at oil refineries and suchlike? Here in Saint John, there's one of those full of molasses along the harbour front. Saint John is home to Crosby's, the major Canadian molasses producer. 

Stores here sell it in the 4 litre (ie, metric gallon) plastic jug, as well as the more common milk-carton format. 

Why is a sugar cane product made way up  in St. John? Are sugar beets used instead?

No, no. Cane sugar. 

Trade with the sugar-producing Caribbean has been a part of life here in the Maritimes pretty much since Day One. Sugar beets are a prairie thing. There have been sugar refineries in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick for some time as well, though the one here in Saint John closed a while back. 

http://www.sugar.ca/International-Trade/Canadian-Sugar-Industry/History-of-the-industry.aspx

• Like 4