• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen Cooked Shrimp

CDRFloppingham

I've done it too when I crave shrimp and think I can't spare the extra half hour to get decent ones. I look at them as a textural component with a slight shellfish taste. In that vein I defrost them in a bowl of water, pat dry really well and use in things like soft shrimp tacos or quesadillas, or pasta or rice dishes where I want some protein quickly. I do taste them after the defrost to see how they are on their own. Once in a while they are a decent vehicle for a good traditional very horseradishy cocktail sauce. Just don't expect a real shrimp flavor and they of course do not have the snap I love.

I'd defrost them under running water in a strainer (not in the fridge), then toss them into anything (pasta sauce, on a pizza - maybe after baking it, in a sandwich, even a stir fry) where they won't be cooked or heated for much - if at all. Just get warm to the temp of what I'm making. All kinds of salads come to mind too.

You could even put them on skewers with something like a lime/lemon oil, salt and white pepper and then put them on a very hot bbq for a couple seconds, just to get them warm and have some grill marks.

Also burritos, tacos, any kind of "pocket food" comes to mind. Large ravioli made with fresh pasta dough.

You could probably even put them frozen on a pizza or in a sauce, they should thaw just in time, though I've not tried that.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Thaw and chop to make deviled shrimp dip. I don't have the recipe on me but I'm sure there are endless variations available online: key ingredients are mayo, parm, cream cheese, cayenne, bacon, lemon juice, horseradish, scallions. Bake 20 min or so and serve hot with sturdy dippers like pita. Very very popular at parties.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Make Danish Shrimp Salad

1 pound cooked shrimp

½ cup mayonnaise

½ cup heavy cream, whipped

Salt and pepper

Lemon juice to taste

Chopped chives

Chopped hard-boiled eggs (optional)

Lightly whisk together mayonnaise, whipped cream, lemon juice and seasonings. Toss shrimp and chives and optional egg with the dressing. You can serve as an open-face sandwich (traditional) or in a lettuce cup.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Zap the thawed, dried shrimp in the food processor, add Old Bay, a little horseradish, a few fresh bread crumbs an egg and maybe a little chopped celery and make into patties......sautè in a little olive oil. Serve with seafood sauce, etc.

My father lives near the ocean.

To improve the flavor of defrosted frozen shrimp, he gets a bucket of sea water and soaks the shrimp briefly in it before serving (needless to say, he doesn't rewash them afterwards). He claims it adds the sea back into the shrimp.

If you are not near the Sea, perhaps you could do likewise with a brine solution with a concentration similar to that of sea water. It seems the composition is 96.5% water, 2.5% salt and 1% other things (reference here). If you use unrefined sea salt, that equates to around 1 part unrefined sea salt by weight to 27.6 parts water.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Curried shrimp salad.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I keep a bag or two of these in my freezer, for emergencies. Last night I used them in this recipe from recipegullet: http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1107.html

Sauteeing them released a lot of the added water, so they shrunk to half the size but took on the wonderful flavor of the sauce. I served them over couscous. A lovely summer meal.

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

Whatever you do, defrost in the fridge, preferably in a sieve over a bowl.  You may want to rinse and pat dry after that.

After you do exactly as JFLinLA suggests, make shrimp and grits. The fat used should be bacon fat or butter, or a combination of both.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!