• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steamer Clams

Katie Meadow

I'll be visiting family in New York in July and I have a terrible craving for a bowl of steamers, those long-neck soft shell clams that don't exist on the west coast. The first few posts of the thread "Bowl of Steamers" is pretty funny, btw.

Is there a restaurant where my mom and I can indulge our nostalgia with a classic bowl of steamers and a side of melted butter? She's in midtown, but I think I can convince her to go out of the way for this.

If that doesn't work, who sells them? She might or might not be able to remember how she used to make them, but if anyone can refresh my memory (I was too little!) please do so. Last year we bought very nice mussels at a place in the Chelsea Market and that worked out well. What's the name of that place? I can't recall seeing steamers for sale there, but I wasn't looking for them.

I'll be visiting family in New York in July and I have a terrible craving for a bowl of steamers, those long-neck soft shell clams that don't exist on the west coast. The first few posts of the thread "Bowl of Steamers" is pretty funny, btw.

Is there a restaurant where my mom and I can indulge our nostalgia with a classic bowl of steamers and a side of melted butter? She's in midtown, but I think I can convince her to go out of the way for this.

If that doesn't work, who sells them? She might or might not be able to remember how she used to make them, but if anyone can refresh my memory (I was too little!) please do so. Last year we bought very nice mussels at a place in the Chelsea Market and that worked out well. What's the name of that place? I can't recall seeing steamers for sale there, but I wasn't looking for them.

I've had good ones at Pearl Oyster Bar. They don't always have them, so call ahead to check if they're available.

The online menu at Pearl doesn't have them. I also checked Ditch Plains, which I thought would be the best bet, to no avail.

As Eatmywords posts above, it's been a long time since I've seen them on an NYC menu. Perhaps somewhere out in Sheepshead Bay or up on City Island?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The online menu at Pearl doesn't have them. I also checked Ditch Plains, which I thought would be the best bet, to no avail.

As Eatmywords posts above, it's been a long time since I've seen them on an NYC menu.  Perhaps somewhere out in Sheepshead Bay or up on City Island?

Pearl offers them as a special, not a menu item, which is why I suggested calling. I've had good ones there within the last year. They reminded me favorably of summers as a kid on Cape Cod.

Thanks. I checked the on-line menu for Grand Central Oyster Bar and they do have them listed, but you are right that it's wise to call the day of. I'll try calling Pearl as well. It's definitely a Long Island summer childhood memory for me.

Thanks. I checked the on-line menu for Grand Central Oyster Bar and they do have them listed, but you are right that it's wise to call the day of. I'll try calling Pearl as well. It's definitely a Long Island summer childhood memory for me.

FWIW, I think Grand Central is more likely to have them on any given day, but Pearl is likely to be better than Grand Central if they have them.

The Lobster Place (a fish shop about a block from Pearl Oyster Bar) on Bleecker had them yesterday. If they're around, I'm fairly sure they'll be available at Grand Central Oyster Bar.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

Basically, you're looking too "high end" to find them. Here's a place I've been quite a few times that I wouldnt think any foodie would be recommending...it's mediocre (at best) in general, but that definitely has buckets of steamers that are what you're looking for: http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/one-fish-two-fish/ It's in an area right around Mount Sinai Hospital so there's a lot of folks there for lunch and dinner and it's train convenient. Too bad the Hoboken Clam Broth House is long gone or I'd have sent you there (by PATH train).

Edited by Steve R. (log)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't end up eating steamers out. I visited my brother in CT and we bought a big load at a local seafood shack and cooked them at home. The were delicious and I ate an embarrassing amount. It was like going back in time.

We did end up eating at Pearl one night, since we were in the neighborhood, but steamers were not on the specials that night. I had mussels. The mussels themselves were okay, but the preparation was not very good. My mother, always on a lobster roll quest, was disappointed as well. She thought the lobster was tough and there was far too much mayo. I had a really good lobster roll in CT. Instead of the more typical lobster salad roll, this was a hot lobster roll. Lot's of really big hunks of claw and tail meat on a traditional toasted and buttered bread. Nice. I'm not sure I would recommend Pearl Oyster Bar. Perhaps they've gone downhill?

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't end up eating steamers out. I visited my brother in CT and we bought a big load at a local seafood shack and cooked them at home. The were delicious and I ate an embarrassing amount. It was like going back in time.

We did end up eating at Pearl one night, since we were in the neighborhood, but steamers were not on the specials that night. I had mussels. The mussels themselves were okay, but the preparation was not very good. My mother, always on a lobster roll quest, was disappointed as well. She thought the lobster was tough and there was far too much mayo. I had a really good lobster roll in CT. Instead of the more typical lobster salad roll, this was a hot lobster roll. Lot's of really big hunks of claw and tail meat on a traditional toasted and buttered bread. Nice. I'm not sure I would recommend Pearl Oyster Bar. Perhaps they've gone downhill?

There's also the fact that there are two different schools of lobster roll construction. Both call themselves "New England style" at times, just to make things more confusing. One is the salad-based version, served cold, that you mentioned. The other involves essentially just lobster and butter, and is often served hot/warm. I personally find that there's room for both, if done well, but people definitely have preferences, as they do with styles of pizza, BBQ, etc.

Sad to hear that you didn't have a good run at Pearl. The last time I was there (a few months ago) it was still good. But on any given night...

FWIW, back to your original post, I was at Ed's Lobster Bar the other night, and they had steamers galore. Not the best I've ever had, but they had 'em nonetheless, and they hit the spot.

• 2 years later...

I'm in NY and for my last dinner I'm hoping to score some steamers at Citarella. The 3rd Ave store is walkable from where I am staying. Not talkin' about hard shell or littlenecks, but the ones that, if they could see themselves in the mirror, might feel bad about their necks. It has been years since I had them and even more years since I made them.

What are direx for simplest cleaning and steaming? Do you use beer or water? My memory is water, but I am open to suggestions. Does anything else go in the steaming pot along with the liquid? All I know is that the show is basically clams, broth, melted sweet butter, in that order. How much liquid so everyone has a generous bowl of flavorful dipping broth? Is the ratio of 1 lb per person + adjustment upwards for long-time deprivation sound right?

This is how I treat them:

Rinse thoroughly until the rinse water is clean. Make up a batch of cold salt water. I use kosher salt and don't really have a set mix, but add salt until it tastes like seawater. You will need enough salt water to cover twice as many steamer as you have. Put the clams in and sprinkle about a tablespoon of fine cornmeal on the surface and put the whole thing in the fridge. I usually do it overnight. If you have done it right their little necks will be stretched out and they will be moving the water as they expel the sand they have in them within an hour or so. When it's time to cook them, put them in just enough fresh water to barely cover them and bring to a boil. Cook them only until they are all open. When you pour off or ladle out the broth to serve, remember there will probably be some sand or grit in the bottom of the cooking pot that you will want to leave behind. I usually serve about a pound and a half for a decent portion, with melted butter, of course.

HC

Thank you HC, perfect instructions. Did the bit with the salt-water (non iodized sea salt) and cornmeal for two hours (which was really all the time I had before cooking) and the clams were incredibly clean. Also incredibly tender and sweet. The variety and the quality at Citarella always kills me. As for quantity, I got less than I planned because there was beautiful boned shad, so the clams were more like a large appetizer. We don't see shad on the west coast, ever, so I couldn't resist. And yes, I'm pretty sure I could eat two lbs of steamers all by my self.

That's pretty much what we do with soft shell clams. Overnight with some cornmeal to cleanse the filtre, steam and serve. Then drink the beer whilst eating the chewy siphons.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack