• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Piccalilli

My wife is from the Boston area.

We are now land-bound in Chicago.

While she's not (yet) pregnant, she has a craving for the piccalilli she remembers from her childhood.

The local relish we have is "no good".

Does anyone have an authentic recipe or a source for possible mail order?

Thanks!

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good

That a vegetable will respond to you

While she's not (yet) pregnant, she has a craving for the piccalilli she remembers from her childhood.

Thanks!

Is the piccalilli of her memory red or mustard based?

Kay

Thanks!

Is the piccalilli of her memory red or mustard based?

Kay

I believe it is red. Info on either or each would be welcome.

Thanks

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good

Aliaseater,

I was born and raised in Rhode Island and these are family recipes dated 1908. They are written in the old narrative style. Unless you have a lot of storage space or a lot of people to share your product with, you may want to cut the recipes down. I have made them and they are quite good.

The first is labeled Chili sauce but I believe it may be what your wife is looking for. "To one bushel tomatoes add 24 large green pepper, one gallon of vinegar, 6 cups of sugar, 4 cups salt, 12 large onions, 4 tablespoon of nutmeg, 4 tablespoons allspice, 4 tablespoon of cinnamon. Chop peppers and onions fine. Peel tomatoes. Boil all together for 2 hours."

The second is from the same August 1908 timeframe.

"1 peck of green tomatoes, 6 large onions chopped fine. Mix together 1 cup salt, 1 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons of ginger, 3 tablespoon allspice, 3 tablespoon cloves, 3 tablespoon cinnamon, 3 tablespoon mustard and 8 green peppers. Boil 3 hours."

The last is labelled Piccalilli but is more green colored than what I think of as traditional. "1 peck green tomatoes put through food chopper. Put in bag with 1 cup salt and let drain all night. To solids add six sweet green peppers, 6 red sweet peppers, 6 medium onions put through food chopper, 2 quarts and 1 pint vinegar, 4 cups sugar. Add a small bag containing 2 tablespoons celery seed, 2 tablespoon mustard seed and 1 tablespoon whole cloves. Cook until everything is soft."

Hope one of these will meet the need.

Kay Edited to fix spelling error.

Edited by kayswv (log)

My mother's recipe, on a smaller scale than others here:

12 medium green tomatoes

3 green peppers

3 red peppers

6 onions

1 small green cabbage

4 Tbsp salt

3 cups brown sugar

1 tsp celery salt

1 tsp mustard seed

1 Tbsp whole cloves

cinnamon stick

1 Tbsp whole allspice

2 cups cider vinegar

coarsely chop all vegetables. toss with salt and let stand overnight, covered. next day, add cold water to cover and drain. in a large pot, combine remaining ingredients and add vegetables. bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer 15-25 minutes until vegetables are soft but not mushy and juice is reduced. spoon vegetables into sterilized jar, adding liquid as needed to near top of jar. seal. to preserve, sterilize in a hot water bath 10 minutes.

Thanks to all for their advice.

I should now be able to come up with something acceptable for a fourth of July hotdog!

Thanks again & enjoy the holiday : )

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good