• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'03 Penfolds Grange

Bill Miller

I've just obtained a bottle of this necter. Has anyone tried it? I understand it is lighter and more approachable than most, but still quite good, drinkable now or for 10 or more years, stored properly.

Edited by Bill Miller (log)

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

I personally haven't had the opportunity to taste it, but there are a couple of reviews on CellarTracker:

http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=527249

However, in my past experiences with Grange, I'd say the '03 isn't anywhere near ready to be opened at this point. (If I'm not mistaken, the '03 was just released last year)

An early drinking Grange will tend to be good drinking from ten to twenty years after vintage, typically towards the end of this time.

The actual cellaring time depends on the individual vintage but these are wines that improve dramatically with age. Penfolds tastes their wines regularly and there are whole books dedicated to when each vintage is best enjoyed (Southcorp Wines, The Rewards of Patience).

If the vintage was 2003, the recommendation for drinking is 2015 to 2030. (see this site for details)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

What I have gleaned, drink this not before 2012 absolutly, and really 2015 or later, depending on how long I plan to live!!!(I'm 66). I think I'll buy an 04, and then look for an earlier vintage that doesn't require a bank loan!! Thanks for your help!!

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.