• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heavy Bottles Are Soon To Be History:

Don Giovanni

Heavy Bottles Are Soon To Be History: Hello Greener Footprint From France

Yesterday we had the pleasure of a visit from our French Glass Mfg. Due to the ecological demand to decrease the carbon footprint AKA make the bottles lighter...this will be a decrease of 17% in the weight of the bottle...so a a 12 pack ready to ship now weighs, depending on the glass for us on average 36 pounds...so if they come in 17% less this is a 6.12 pounds less per case...or 29.88 pounds without decreasing the strength due to a new even flow gas system in Mfg the bottles...so every 1,000 CS's = 6,120 lbs over three tons X that by real production and you are doing something very good...

The owner and manager flew in for three days and it was with great pleasure we indulged into glass making...the origin of punts on hand blown glass...the vestiges on the neck of the bottle, the size of the punt and it's tradition of being better...

Push comes to shove this bottle will be the same in every way, except it will be lighter...so tradition lives...with a greener footprint ... less back pain the way I see it, all the way around...I hope more producers move this way...as time goes on I expect them to get even lighter...

Just a FYI on the evolution of the wine bottle and it's weight...

It is great to see the weight of the glass coming down. I've often wondered why some non-sparkling wines are put in such heavy bottles.

I think your calculations are off, however. I assume your 36 lbs are for the 12 bottles with the wine in it. I don't think you can take 17% off the liquid as well as the glass.

So what you're saying is, they're just reducing the amount of glass used now? To summarize...Weight reduction without sacrificing the structural strength?

Excuse my confusion, but are they just using less glass is what you're getting at?

Jim

Heavy Bottles Are Soon To Be History: Hello Greener Footprint From France

...without decreasing the strength due to a new even flow gas system in Mfg the bottles...

Hi,

I hope the lighter, stronger bottles get to Argentina. VistAlba Corte A is packaged in a bottle that weighs 2.61 pounds, empty.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...
Sounds to me that they are using less material in order to cut costs and increase their profit.

I suppose that it's possible.

However, profits in the wine industry are pretty hard to come by - especially for smaller wineries.

And honestly, if the bottles maintain close to the same resistance to breakage, what's wrong with going with a lighter more eco-friendly bottle?