• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portion Size

Thanks for bringing in size as it does matter. I got tired of watching bussers throw food out long ago. I used to MAKE customers take a doggie bag because I couldn't bear the thought. It's almost as though baby boomers lived through the depression, which they didn't. Size was the security blanket.

Thankfully, more diners are beginning to appreciate substance, intent and composition. We don't serve any protion over 6 oz. and have no guilt about it. I've been thinking of pushing the envelope by highlighting well prepared rice and legume dishes with meats as the "side" and scaling the price accordingly. Someone will probably shoot me or something, but I'm still tempted to do some work in that direction anyway :laugh: