• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LBI

Curlz

I've done a search for LBI and nothing shows up on the NJ board...?!?

Any/all suggestions for all kinds of places would be greatly appreciated, as a quick trip down there just came up (and supposedly the SUN will also be there!). Ice cream, bars, restaurants, sandwich shops...bring it on, please! Thanks much.

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Unfortunately, you don't say which end of LBI you'll be staying on... And its a long island when you're hungry. My family has a house on the south end/Beach Haven area - we've eaten at all these places numerous times... As soon as you get there, pick up the 2 free local papers - check those out for ideas.

Keep in mind - it's a family destination - there's nothing hugely spectacular about any of these, even the ones that claim fine dining. (Although Roberto's is a favorite of mine & Fink's.)

For Breakfast:

Uncle Will's Pancake House

3 South Bay Avenue

Beach Haven, NJ 08008

Bayside Diner

2404 Long Beach Blvd

Spray Beach, NJ 08008-4258

For Lunch:

Chicken Or the Egg

207 N Bay Ave

Beach Haven, NJ 08008

M & M Steam Bar

Delaware Ave & Bay Ave

Beach Haven, NJ 08008

For Dinner:

Roberto's

130th St & Long Beach Boulevard

Beach Haven Terrace, NJ 08008

Bisque Restaurant

79th Street & Long Beach Blvd.

Beach Haven Crest, NJ 08008

There's a thread on this subject Curlz:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89081&st=0

But I'm sorry to say one of my fav's has called it a day: Blue has given way to owners new restaurant in Phila called Noble.

Still - good one's abound nevertheless...

Edited by waves2ya (log)

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Rich read my mind. Mustache Bill's is fabulous for breakfast. It's a landmark.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks, all. Sadly, I'm already back, and didn't have PC access (which was actually a VERY nice thing) while I was on LBI. I didn't know the island geography well enough to know where we'd be when I originally posted, but Mrs. Fink had our neighborhood pegged!

We were staying all of a block from M&M Steam Bar and just decided it looked like it had to be good (basically a fish market w/some random tables out front--BYO, and we were glad we went! A few of us had their Summer Salad special; a good mix of greens + grilled eggplant, peppers, squash w/a choice of grilled or blackened tuna, mahi, or salmon. I had the grilled tuna and despite having ordered it raw, it was cooked through and DELICIOUS. I was far too hungry to send it back. Everyone was happy with their dinners, and we were proud of ourselves for trying it.

We also hit the "Chegg" as they call the Chicken and the Egg...tasty enough food, but we wish we had been there for breakfast instead of dinner, but our options that night were few as it was late and the island was empty. The Chegg was one of the few places that was busy/not closed/not about to close. Of all things, the fish burrito was a big hit at our table. I had a half rack of ribs that were fine, but nothing exciting. Still wishing that one of us had ordered some wings, as they're the specialty. Next time.

Best breakfast was at the Dockside Diner, and my favorite ice cream was the Maine Blueberry at the Skipper Dipper, but we also liked The Meltdown , which is right across from M&M (I had black raspberry there that was v. good). We also found Leo's Yum Yum a couple of blocks south of the ferris wheel, which is the only place we saw selling all homemade ice cream. Come to think of it, the Cinnamon Oatmeal Raisin I had there was darn good TOO. :biggrin: Seriously--a ton of good cinnamon, and it was full of raisins and basically tasted like a cookie. NOTHING wrong with that!

The Custard Hut, which is closer to Surf City, was NOT. GOOD. 'nuf said.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Was there this weekend for a little surf myself...

Moustache Bills (Barnegat Light) has won a 2009 James Beard award...

Lex Mex - perfect; their tuna burrito Hawaiian style with chipolte a taste treat.

Harvey Cedars Shellfish lobsters as reliable as ever (platter w/ mussels).

Finally - Woody's burgers (had the blackened blu cheese burger) a great island fest...

All - good (+ small surf)....

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...