• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Triscuits

JAZ

When I was growing up, we always had saltines, and usually a "fancier" cracker -- often Triscuits or Wheat Thins, both of which I remember liking a lot.

I guess I "outgrew" crackers as time went on, because when I started cooking and eating on my own, I hardly ever bought them unless I needed some for a cheese plate, in which case I tended to stick with water table wafers or the like.

Recently, though, my Publix had a sale on Nabisco crackers, including both Triscuits and Wheat Thins. I got a box of each. I found that I no longer like Wheat Thins; they're too sweet and have a weird aftertaste to me. But I'm once again a big fan of Triscuits.

I admit to liking the fact that the ingredients are just wheat, oil and salt, but mostly I just like the way they taste, and especially the texture. I like them plain, and also topped with tuna or chicken salad, cheese, or even peanut butter.

Any other fans out there?

I really like triscuits. Wait, that's not quite true: I developed a nasty triscuit habit in graduate school...I could eat a box in one sitting, and frequently did. I still like them, but I haven't had one in years. Buying a box is the equivalent of social drinking for some friends of Bill W: it's a slippery slope with a bad ending. I prefer the plain ones; the flavored (veggie, garlic/herb) are pretty bad.

I always have Triscuits on hand and find they are great under a lot of things, including homemade pimento cheese, smoked trout with cream cheese and guacamole with bacon.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm a fan. I used to keep them on hand a lot more frquently, though. Not really sure why I don't buy them as much as I used too.

I would like to top them with either slices of cheddar cheese (ocassionally topped with a slice of pepperorni) or the cheddar/port wine cheese spread.

Maybe I should buy a box on the way home.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I LOVE Triscuits, have since I was a wee gal. I remembered thinking they would be horrible because I begged my mom to buy Shredded Wheat biscuits only to find that I hated how those tasted.....but I loved Triscuits from the 1st bite!

(And yes, I realize that a child begging mom to buy shredded wheat biscuits is a little odd, but I digress.....)

My favorite varieties these days are the rye and the "hint of salt". (The rye variety is particularly good with homemade herbed neufchatel and topped with smoked salmon.) The plain Triscuit Thins are pretty tasty too! Not a huge fan of most of the flavored versions. My FAVORITE part are the edges that get a little dark- lots of times, I break those off and eat the first, then toast the remnants so that my entire Triscuit experience is fully toasty and well-browned. One of the joys of living solo....:wink:

I really don't understand the appeal of those water crackers... they're so bland.

They're supposed to be bland so they don't interfere with the taste/flavor of whatever you're putting on top of them. Just think of them as a non-partisan boring delivery system.

As for Triscuits, I go through phases liking them and not wanting to go near them. I had a box of Roasted Garlic flavor Triscuits and and found them to be texturally greasy, which I thought was odd. I tossed them which is heresy for me since I don't throw anything out.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'm pro-Triscuit.

Years ago I went through a phase where I bought nothing processed, and nothing from a box. During this time I discovered that some crackers are rather easy to make, but not so with Triscuits.

I now buy Triscuits for taste and convenience, and because they stand up so well to the broiler and the microwave.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Indeed they do, Holly. Not only the opportunity, but almost a necessity. I've found that trying to bite a Triscuit against the grain results in a broken cracker and a big mess, depending on what's on top of the Triscuit. Whereas if you go with the grain, the Tricuit almost never breaks up. I like that.

I like Triscuits, especially the triangle thin ones, but not the flavoured triscuits. I also love Vegetable thins and often eat them on their own just as a snack.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Indeed they do, Holly. Not only the opportunity, but almost a necessity. I've found that trying to bite a Triscuit against the grain results in a broken cracker and a big mess, depending on what's on top of the Triscuit. Whereas if you go with the grain, the Tricuit almost never breaks up. I like that.

I'll second that. I try to pay attention to the grain when I'm biting one so I don't make a mess- or as much of a mess. Sometimes those little shards are unavoidable it seems. And, oddly enough for me, I actually prefer the low-fat Triscuits to the regular ones. Usually if it's full-fat, it's for me! I also once tried the, I think it was an olive oil-rosemary flavor. I love rosemary but I found it too overpowering in those crackers. I stick with the plain ones.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

The Sun-Dried Tomato, Cracked Pepper, and Rosemary flavors are excellent -- but they can overpower cheese.

And they are 100% whole wheat...

Personally, I find the Sun-Dried Tomato crazy overpowering.... and not in a good way. Lately, it's been a common theme for me... can't do manufactured flavors. The only one I can think of that I like is Cool Ranch Doritos....

However, original triscuits are amazing... I can't eat just one. Therefore, I try to never buy them... because the box is gone way too quick.

I have rediscovered my love of triscuits!

For 17 years, living in the UK and Australia I was not able to get them, other than on visits home - now, it's all systems go!

(don't tell anyone, I like them with spray cheese)

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

I don't care for most crackers, but there's a couple of boxes of Triscuits in my pantry right now!

Don't like low fat version, and the flavored ones are overseasoned anf too salty for my taste. Trader Joe's makes their own triscuit type of cracker which I've actually come to prefer to Nabisco's original.

• 4 weeks later...
I like the rye  Triscuits.

Until I started this topic, I had never heard of rye Triscuits. I'd seen the flavored ones -- rosemary, garlic, sundried tomato -- but not rye. My store doesn't carry them. Then a friend who knows about my love of Triscuits brought me a box. I can't decide whether I'm happy or not. They're fabulous, but they're also the sort of thing I could just eat a whole bunch of without even noticing. (Regular Triscuits aren't like that for me; I like them but can easily stop after one or two.)

Now I'm torn between asking my store to carry them and just forgetting about them.

• 3 months later...