• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

substitute for cocoa powder for a vanilla version

niobe

i have a chocolate recipe for which I use cocoa powder. I would like to make a vanilla version but don't know what substance to use to substitute for the "powder" which adds considerable volume. I do not want to use solid chocolate.

Any ideas? Thanks!

This would be much easier if we knew exactly what you're trying to do. "A beverage with significant cocoa content that I want to change to vanilla" leaves us doing a lot of guessing. Is this a hot cocoa that you want to be vanilla, a milkshake, a cocktail of some sort?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

i dont know what you are doing but I suggest you just exempt the cocoa all together, figure out the weight of the rest of the ingredients and add a certain percentage of another flavoring ingredient to infuse (ie vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, fruit etc). Depending on what type of vanilla you are using it will probably be something around 1% to the entire recipe.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Yeah why does it matter what percentage of dry mass is in a beverage? Is it like...hot cocoa with no cocoa? I guess I would use a little tapioca starch to emulate that mouthfeel...although I have no idea if that's what you're trying to do or not.

The only other chocolate beverages I can think of are chocolate martinis and Canfields chocolate soda!

Yeah why does it matter what percentage of dry mass is in a beverage? Is it like...hot cocoa with no cocoa? I guess I would use a little tapioca starch to emulate that mouthfeel...although I have no idea if that's what you're trying to do or not.

The only other chocolate beverages I can think of are chocolate martinis and Canfields chocolate soda!

which don't really contain cocoa powder. so im at a loss as well. And cocoa powder doesn't really give body, its kind of like dissolving cool aid powder you know.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Don't know if they're in NYC but in California we also have Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf stores. Long before Starbucks launched their frappucino type drinks, CB&T was selling "ice-blendeds" all over the place. In addition to coffee flavors, you could order them in pure vanilla or pure chocolate. And, of course, you could also get a hot vanilla as well as a hot chocolate from them. I would get them for the kids when they were little. And they sell the stuff in the stores so you can make it at home. I'd either go buy that or go look at the ingredient list.

So long and thanks for all the fish.