• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Did you cook for Drew?

Hi Michel!

I've heard that Drew Nieporent lost a great deal of weight over the last two years or so -- was Heartbeat started out of his desire to acheive a more healthy lifestyle?

Being a big guy myself I am interested as to how a big time foodie like Drew was able to still enjoy food and shed the weight. How'd he drop all the pounds? Did he follow any special diet? Did you cook for him during this period?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Drew, unfortunately, was not able to enjoy food and still shed pounds. He was in such dire straights, he had to go on a 1000 calorie a day diet. After a couple of months, he went to 1500 cals. He ate no starch of any kind. Lots of raw tuna, asparagus, sashimi, etc. He now eats at Hearbeat more regularly.

He did start Heartbeat as part of an effort to change his lifestyle, but didn't start partaking until he ran into trouble.

I recommend people try not to get to the point of "loose weight or die soon" to make the change. While the motivation under such circumstance is exceptional, the risks are potentially catastrophic.

I say start now. Go the Atkin approach (no carbs with your protein) to drop initial pounds and definitely drop calorie consumption. Also, find something you love to do and format it to help you get more excercise. Even photography, for example, can apply. Get a good camera, put on a 20 pound pack and walk the bridges of NY to get some great pictures. The key is to burn more calories than one consumes. Hanging-out or working busily behind a desk doesn't burn calories.

All the while, regardless of how many calories you cut, but excellent quality (preferably organic) foods. The stuff you do eat should be enjoyacble.