• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

noodles -- whole eggs or just the yolks

kellytree

Does anyone know (or have info) on which is better and why?

Tonight over dinner we had a debate on using whole eggs or just the yolks (or a mix 1 egg / 2 yolks).

The discussion ended that none of us have a clue but most of us believe that there probably is no big difference (except for the color)

Does it really make a difference? If yes why and how??

Thanks for your input/theory on this "very important matter".

Hi, I've been making homemade pasta for a couple of years now and I've always used whole eggs. I found the recipe on an italian family's site and it has never failed me. I have not had a chance to use just the yolks. The pasta I make has a great flavor, color (like golden wheat) and rolls out very well (as thin as I like it to be).

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Just try, make a batch with just yoke, one with some extra yoke added to whole eggs, one with whole eggs, and while at it, maybe try one with just egg whites? Then one w/o any egg (as my Italian uncle insists on) and then have a tasting party.

I've seen all kinds of recipes, but aside of color I found little to no difference in those that I made, though I have not done a side by side comparison.

Might do that some day, seems like a fun project. Small batches are easy with a kitchen aid or similar.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Every time I make an egg-white cocktail, I drop the yolk into a container I keep in the freezer. When this container is full, I make egg yolk fresh pasta.

My experience is that the texture is somewhat different, and overall the noodles are silkier and richer. But not to a huge extent, by any means.

--