• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sea Isle/Avalon

Tim Dolan

My friends have a place in Sea Isle for the summer, and no one really like to travel any further than Avalon once we get down there. I'm just checking to see if there are any good places that we don't know about. Everything seems to be very middle-of-the-road.

I know the McGowan's has good breakfast sanwiches and passable cheesesteaks (they use Liscio's rolls), and that Giovanni's makes a respectable hoagie and roast pork sandwich, but is there anything else? This could cover anything in the area. I think that the two seafood places, Marie's and Mike's, aren't good at all. People love going there to sit out on the deck but the food just isn't all that good, IMHO. Uncle Oogie's is I guess slightly better than all the other pizza places. I really used to like Pastabilities, but I think they're no longer open. Does anyone have any good spots (for anything) that are worth trying?

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

The new BLACKFISH in Stone Harbor, a branch of the one in Conshohockem, PA, is a must-visit. Chip Roman is a young genius chef, especially with seafood.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this is too late, Tim, but here goes:

Basilico's (across from the Springfield Inn) is very respectful reasonable Italian. They have this great warm olive and rosemary olive oil concoction that they bring out, along with great bread for dipping while you look at the menu. No liquor license, but great food. And, I believe they will blow away anyone else in town as far as Pizza is concerned.

Welshie's wings are great, and they're open til late (3AM?)

Giovanni's Deli is great, good home made cutlets and such; everything you'd find in a South Philly neighborhood market.

Braca Cafe' has gotten some good reviews; we haven't tried it - a little too pricey and high brow for us while we're tooling around in flip flops...

We stay away from the local seafood places, as they tend to be ridiculously overpriced. If you're willing to shell (no pun intended, well maybe) out the bucks - Mikes, and Marie's are both good. Stay away from Busch's - very tourist trappy.

Spoon!

The new BLACKFISH in Stone Harbor, a branch of the one in Conshohockem, PA, is a must-visit.  Chip Roman is a young genius chef, especially with seafood.

WIll be there on Saturday -

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Blackfish in Stone Harbor is excellent - a main of short ribs with seared scallops and parsnip puree was delicious, as was the bouillabaise and the crab and aspargus salad with 63 degree egg - the tuna tartare, also just right -

Service was efficient and discreet and the decor all black and ecru, very relaxing after a day at the beach!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~