• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

John Talbott Steps Down

nakji

After five years as part of the host team in the eGullet forums, John Talbott is stepping down from his hosting duties. He's been a stalwart member of this team for years, and we'll miss his contributions greatly. His support for the eGullet Society's mission has never wavered, and we're all looking forward to his continuing contributions as a forum member.

John has always graciously and expertly dealt with my questions, especially when I was a new host who didn't know an arrondissement from an atelier. I look forward to learning more from his informative posts in the future!

As one who has had the pleasure of both working with John and having a meal and a drink in Paris and New York with John, I can't say which has been more fun.

But I can say I look forward to John's continued contributions to the France and other forums as an Emeritus host, and really look forward to the next meal I can share with him in Paris or New York.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Thank you so much for your amazing contributions and recommendations, John. The only thing I've enjoyed more than reading them is using some of them! And being able to pass them along to friends. Looking forward to more.

John is class all the way. The eGullet Society is ever the richer for all of John's many contributions.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Merci, John. I will always remember cooking a "Canadian" meal for you and your collegues when you visited Ontario. Bon Chance!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Merci indeed, John. Your incredible work over the years is one of the reasons eG Forums is as terrific as it is. Your keen wit and insight, coupled with your commitment to good food and drink, are a hallmark of each post. Thanks for all the behind-the-scenes work -- and here's looking forward to ever more posts.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

John:

I look forward to my next opportunity to avail myself of your astutel guidance and advice. It's been far too long since my last visit to France, and I know my next visit will be far richer as a result of your hard work and dedication. Merci and Bonne Chance in your further endeavors as Host Emeritus!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks for the tireless work. It takes time organizing all that infomation that was extremely helpful in anyone eating in Paris. I used your favorites for two trips to Paris this year and liked them all. Will still look for your posts here on on your blog

John,

Thank you! You have been so helpful to me everytime I am in Paris! (and I am here now!). Your service has been so appreciated! Please tell that you will still be posting though!

Thank you again friend!

Raisa

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

John T shares with two other fine-food-writing Johns (Thorne and Hess) the indispensible realization that there are other more important things going on in the world. As Paul Richardson so succinctly summarized it in his Cornucopia: A Gastronomic Tour of Britain,

It is a hard thing to say, but fine food is far from the most important thing in the world. It is not really a question of reaching perfection – that would be too much to ask – nor of lotus-eating, but of finding and maintaining a level of confidence in the food we eat day by day that enables us to get on with the rest of our lives. I forget who said it [he later told me that it was Jane Grigson], but the phrase could apply perfectly well to [our food]: ‘We have more than enough masterpieces. What we need is a better standard of ordinariness.'

Fortunately we still have his wide-ranging and free-wheeling presence in John Talbott's Paris, whose Alexa rating is likely to bump sharply upwards.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

• 2 weeks later...

Monsieur Talbott.....or should I say Monsieur Poulbot!!! You're more Parisian than most "authentiques parisiens" (has nothing to do with the béret you wear on your avatar pic), myself included, born at the Baudeloque clinique, raised a few years in the 9th around la Trinité and later in the 6th, with a fair part of my family split between the 4ème, 9ème, 11ème et 12ème arrondissements, bla bla bla, j'arrête là : P

We will completely miss you and want to thank you so much for your time, energy and generosity in sharing your finds and faves :smile:

Tout le meilleur et plus encore pour la suite, à bientôt!!!