• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ cooking schools/lessons

Hi,

With as much as I love going out to eat I've decided I need to get a lot more serious about learning to cook beyond some basic things.

I've tried searching the web without many promising results and figure I'd turn to my friends at egullet to see if anyone knew of anyone who offers either private or small group cooking lessons. My schedule is quite variable so its hard for me to commit to steady classes.

perhaps there are some trained chefs who are interested in some extra money on their days off?

Any help is appreciated. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

and i just found this:

http://www.chefscool.com/aboutus.html

Carol Murphy Clyne and her husband, Vincent, were my chef instructors when I did the Spain and the world table class at CIA. They are very good.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 1 month later...
Hi,

With as much as I love going out to eat I've decided I need to get a lot more serious about learning to cook beyond some basic things.

I've tried searching the web without many promising results and figure I'd turn to my friends at egullet to see if anyone knew of anyone who offers either private or small group cooking lessons.  My schedule is quite variable so its hard for me to commit to steady classes. 

perhaps there are some trained chefs who are interested in some extra money on their days off?

Any help is appreciated.  thanks.

Hi,

I've tried searching the web without many promising results and figure I'd turn to my friends at egullet to see if anyone knew of anyone who offers either private or small group cooking lessons.  My schedule is quite variable so its hard for me to commit to steady classes. 

I know its a little late but just in time for the holidays. I just stumbled on your post. I offer very diverse individual and group cooking lessons to suite your curiousity, buget and skill set. We can do this in your home or at select locations. Contacct me @ 908 591 7343 and I will glady provide a resume references and credentials. I am a broadly traine, disciplined chef a veteran of the restaurant industry and currently a Certified Chef Instructor.

I would welcome the opportunity to sit with you and create a cluniary learning path to help you explore new culinary trends and techniques as wel as updating the classics

Contat me at 908 591 7343 or southunion7@hotmail.com

Chef Paul

Hi,

Edited by Lutece (log)

Hi,

Hi,

Hi,

I'll add my vote for Carol Murphy Clyne...she used to run the Viking Cooking School (which I would no longer recommend) and I worked with her for a while. She and her husband are both knowledgeable, lovely people--and you'll have FUN, too!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."