• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If I love Christian Constant's restaurants...

kiliki

I'm a huge fan of Chef Constant's restaurants. We have another trip coming up and we're in such a rut (a happy rut) eating at some of his places twice in one trip. Do any other restaurants spring to mind as places I should try, knowing how much I like his food? I feel a bit silly asking this, knowing that I get very different types of meals at Les Coccettes vs. Les Fables, but I love them all. We staying in the 7th but will journey anywhere.

kiliki,

What do you like about Christian Constant's restaurants?

The reason I'm asking is I'm planning to go to Paris later in November (finally) and I'm planning to stay in the 7th, just one block away from Chef Constant's restaurant (and La Fontaine de Mars). I've looked at his website, but I still want to get a first-hand account of his cooking.

Apparently, there are other restaurants in the 7th, like Au Bon Acceuil, Chez L'Ami Jean and I did mention La Fontaine de Mars, where the President ate leg of lamb and a floating island recently, with no wine, just water.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Yes I've been to those as well. If you're staying a block from one of his restaurants you're staying about a block from all of them. :) It's hard for me to quanitfy what I love about them, especially since they are different, but every dish I've had at all of them has been fantastic. Every time. Even a simple green bean and mushroom salad--I still swoon when I think about it. Try the cafe at least.

I'm a huge fan of Chef Constant's restaurants. We have another trip coming up and we're in such a rut (a happy rut) eating at some of his places twice in one trip. Do any other restaurants spring to mind as places I should try, knowing how much I like his food? I feel a bit silly asking this, knowing that I get very different types of meals at Les Coccettes vs. Les Fables, but I love them all. We staying in the 7th but will journey anywhere.

It is probably wildly unfair to suggest that the restaurants run by Constant are like those of his culinary children and grandchildren but surely some things rubbed off.

Thus one could consider those of the "children:"

Pur'Grill Restaurant- Jean-François Rouquette

Chez Michel &Chez Casimir– Thierry Breton

Le Clos des Gourmets – Arnoud Pitrois

Laurent - Alain Pégouret

L’Os a Moelle, Les Symples...., La Cave..... & Le Barbezingue – Thierry Faucher

La Regalade, Le Comptoir – Yves Camdeborde & Bruno Doucet

Le Repaire de Cartouche & Cafe Cartouche – Rodolphe Paquin

Le Restaurant→Le Restaurant d’Eric Frechon→Eric Frechon, Le Bristol – Eric Frechon

Le Troquet & Cantine de Troquet – Christian Echebest

And then there are the "culinary grandchildren:"

L’Ami Jean – Stephane Jego

L’Ourcine – Sylvain Daniere

L’Entredgeu - Phillipe Tredgeu

One of those loks dated but I can't tell which.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

In your opinion, John, have Chez Casimir and/or Chez Michel passed their prime?  On our last trip, we dined at Michel and weren't that impressed.

Well, I've only eaten once at Chez Casimir since Tredgeu left and was disappointed. I tend to go to Chez Michel only during game season and then it seems OK still. Colette doesn't like it because she thinks it's "too dark" but that's the decor not the food.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Les Clos des Gourmets would be a good choice; the prix-fixe menu is reasonable, although supplements for the best dishes can add quite a bit to the final tab. M.E. had a "Best Ever" salmon dish here. They do try for several turns in the evening, so come early or late. Tables are nicely spaced, and the locals dress rather upscale.

• 1 month later...

I guess you could say that I am a Christian Constant fan, too!

I always stay in the Bourdonnais/Rapp/St. Dominique area with Eiffel Tower apartment views. I think you could say that with my early arrival time that it works out perfect for me to have my arrival day lunch at Les Cocottes. I always vist a bit with Christian who strolls between his 4 places along Christian Constant's part of St. Dominique!

I always dine at all 4 of his restaurants along with Au Bon Accueil, Le Clos des Gourmet, Le Florimond is always on my list. La Cuisine can be a good choice. I have also enjoyed 153 Grenelle. I did find this spot http://www.au-petit-sud-ouest.fr/ the one on Bourdonnais..if you are a foie gras person you will like it. The grande salad is a real winner. Casual place. They also have a dessert deli and do sell foie gras. Menu is same for lunch or dinner. Not exactly heart healthy, but stay a month or longer, as I do, and you can enjoy more than once!

I'm sorry, but my L'Ami Jean experiences have not been good. Yes, I know what a favorite it is!

I do enjoy a Sunday lunch at l'Obe(formerly l'Obelisque) in the Crillon. They have come to enjoy my regular dining by giving me free Champagne (Taittainger, of couyrse), extra "sides" offferred and even ask if I would like a 2nd dessert! Can't even finish the first! They treat those who dine with me in the same manner! I have many friends asking if they can join me at the Crillon for Sunday lunch..not brunch. A fun thing after l'Obe is to wander over to the Bar Vencome in the Ritz and have a cocktail of some sort, to round out the afternoon of slumming!

What's nice is that I can jump on the # 42 bus and be there in minutes!

I will be returning to Paris...and my little area of the 7th..the first of November for a 6 week stay. I will get to see all the Christmas decorations and take a walk across Pont Alma and stroll up ave. Montaigne and see all the decorations and then go on the Rond Point and Cjamps Elysees. Pretty special.

Enjoy,

Joan

Joan, hello, I believe we have chatted on Slow Travel and Fodors (you recently encouraged me to ask Paris Perfect for a shorter stay). It seems we have the same taste in apartements AND restaurants! Thanks for your other recommendations. I'm planning on eating at Le Clos and Au Bon Acceuil (besides the CC restaurants) and I'm interested in La Cuisine as well. We've eaten at Les Ambassadeurs but not at L'Obe--thanks for the suggestion.

Hi,

If you are planning on contacting the Crillon for l'Obe reservations, please do tell them that you are a friend of Joan Grace and she says such great things about them..it will probably get you a free glass of Champagne!

They told me that Sundays are when their long tme customers dine there..they call them their "nice" people! It will probably not be crowded..just pleasant..ask for Frederique..

\

Enjoy....

Joan

• 2 months later...

If anyone is interested, the chef at Le Violin D'Ingres is offering a Monday morning cooking class to guests staying at Paris Perfect apartments. For our trip last week we decided to stay in a hotel rather than with the company (mostly due to the fact the hotel would let us check in when we arrived from CDG at 8 am) and we only received the email about this promotion the day before we left. I was really disappointed I didn't know sooner! Le Violin was our favorite meal from our recent trip--food, service and atmosphere were all terrific.

Joan I didn't check back so I just now saw your latest suggestion. Next time!

• 1 month later...

I was in Paris for Thanksgiving, and when my plans for dinner at Le Meurice fell through, I ended up having Thanksgiving dinner at Cafe Constant. Small and rustic dining area, with lots of American couples and families dining. Had the good fortune of being waited on by an English lass, so I was able to forego my miniscule knowledge of the French language for one night. I started with a trio of sea urchins: the meat was scooped out and blended with some butter and seafood broth, and then returned to the shells and topped with croutons and herbs. Lovely dish, and surprisingly light. This was followed by a tartare of salmon, oysters and scallops, served on the oyster half-shells on a bed of seaweed, and topped with croutons and arugula. It had just enough acidity to balance the richness of the seafood, and was a delight to eat. For the main course, I had that night's special: venison cooked medium rare, served with the jus reduced with red wine and berries. Again, the meat was perfectly cooked, and the jus added welcome notes of acidity and sweetness. Dessert were profiteroles served with a dark chocolate syrup; the twist was instead of cream, the profiteroles were stuffed with vanilla ice cream, which in a way lightened up the dish and added a nice clean contrast to the syrup. I really enjoyed the meal, and as a token of appreciation, I bought the chefs a round of beers, which they greatly appreciated. I do intend to go back there when I return to Paris, and may be, even try to get reservations at Chef Constant's other establishments.

I also spent Thanksgiving at Violon d'Ingres with 2 Parisien friends.

I had told Christian the day before that it was 'our' Thanksgiving and he was surprised. On Thanksgiving evening when he spent some time at our table and I introduced him to my friends, he apologized for not thinking of it sooner. I had also mentioned it to Caherine in one of my emails. I don't thing we would have found stuffed turkeys and all anyway!Dinner was thoroughly enjoyed by all. We enjoyed a different wine with with each course. A good time was had by all.

I will be enjoying lunch there tomorrow with friends. I will be leaving Paris on Monday, after being here for 6 weeks. I will be home for 6 weeks and think I will then be returning for another 6 weeks.

Joan

Just got back from Le Clos des Gourmets. Very good, if somewhat heavy food. My "hunters terrine" of mainly hare, was very good and rich. Served with a fresh salad and a nice beet pure. The others had pumpkin velute, but it was missing some of the richness we like about pumpkin soup. My main was a duck and liver pie, wich had a nice, full flavour. The jus it was served with made it a bit heavy and one dimensional. The same can be said of the crispy pork head with mashed potatoes and the lamb with mashed potatoes. It was all very good, and we are well satisfied. The desserts were classics as Paris Brest, apple crumble and pinapple tarte tatin. All in all, good value for €35 a head (+€7,50 for the duck pie). I will go again, but not for a fancy dinner.